S2 Mini-series VOL. 2

"Oh Yeah

"Oh Yeah. Yeah this'll do, this'll do just fine. Good call dude." I averted my eyes from the old junkyard to the Steve, who continued to toss the chunks of raw meat in a sloppy trail towards the center of the yard as he spoke. Quietly scoffing at Dustin beaming up at the brunettes praise. I'm not jealous, why the hell would I be? Sure I'm Dustin's older sister and have stuck up for him, given him advice, and looked out for him all his life and now he's looking up to Steve Harrington. Who, although a nice guy, can be quite the dick. Moms always talking about how Dustin should have a "male figure" in his life to look up to, but I think I'm doing just fine at the whole role model thing. Okay, maybe I'm a little jealous....
The remaining contents of the buckets hit the ground with a splat and I cringed at the sound, the three of us snapping our heads to Lucas' shout from afar.
"I said medium well!" He waved to us with a grin, the red head girl next to him offering us the smallest of smiles as they walked towards us.
"Who's that?" Steve and I inquired in unison, narrowing our eyes at each other and the coincidence. Maybe calling him hair spray got him a little pissed. I looked to Dustin when he didn't respond, Steve and I making eye contact once more as we both notice the boy's not so subtle staring at her. So that's the girl.
"Where are those dickheads?" Steve asked as I helped the young girl, who I now know as Max lift a piece of scrap metal up the stairs of the rusted bus. We both shrugged and looked around, continuing to work as the tall teen spotted them and trudged towards them with a frustrated sigh.

"So, you're Dustin's sister?"

"Yeah, I would be yelling at him for being a lazy shit, but looks like control freaks got it covered." I mumbled as she chuckled beside me.

"So you're in the party now?" I asked as she handed me another sheet of metal, the two of us ignoring Steve's scoldings in the distance.

"No...Not really. I mean, Lucas and I are pretty good friends now. But Mike has made it clear I'm not welcome. I guess they don't need a zoomer."

"Zoomer?"

"Yeah, I uh, I skate a lot so...Zoomer." She replied with a shrug and I nodded.

"Well we just met, but if I had a party you'd totally be allowed in. As for Mike, he's kind of an ass before you get to know him, he's gone through a lot this past year from what I've seen. He'll warm up." She nodded softly at my reassurance, red hair catching the last of the Hawkins sun as she did so.

"Alright asshole!" Max and I chuckled at the two boys trudging behind Steve, who looked a lot more focused than usual. The gravity of the situation to come suddenly hitting me as I looked to him. 40 minutes and the sun would be gone, leading whatever monstrous creature following our trail right to us...

************
"So, you've really fought one of these things before?" Max asked quietly, Steve looking up from his lighter and nodding before looking to me. Seemingly reading me as I sat on the floor in front of him, clutching the metal crowbar hard enough to make my knuckles white. The air had grown cold with the absence of the sun, and I shuddered at the thought of what lurked in the thick forest surrounding the large clearing.