Good Reason

The Hawkins summer air was cool on your skin as you exited the ice cream parlor you had been working at since the last day of school

The Hawkins summer air was cool on your skin as you exited the ice cream parlor you had been working at since the last day of school. It wasn't your ideal summer job, the uniform was just about impossible to pull off.

Unless you were Steve Harrington, who could make a trash bag look appetizing. Steve Harrington was a year above you in Hawkins High, and had never acknowledged your presence until your first day of work. But you knew him, you had a crush on him all throughout high school.

And your feelings had only progressed as the summer days dragged on, spending most of your days scooping ice cream alongside the boy and your other co worker Robin. As you walked through the mall towards the parking lot, you noticed a group of boys about your age standing by the exit. You had recognized one of them as Justin Anderson, the self righteous creep who harassed girls like it was some sort of sport. He had come into the shop a few times, making you and Robin gag at his pick up lines.

You thanked your lucky stars that you had decided to change out of your uniform before ending your shift, not wanting to provoke any name calling from the boys. You kept your head straight forward, trying to ignore their stares as you made your way towards the door.

"Woah there pretty lady, where are you off to in such a rush?" Justin cooed, earning a chorus of laughter from his friends. You rolled your eyes and continued walking, simply not having the energy to deal with the boys after a long day of scooping ice cream for bratty pre-teens.

"Hey, I was talking to you bitch!" You heard him yell behind you, obviously angered by your lack of interest. You picked up your pace to your car, though it seemed miles away as only Justin was following you now. You darted your eyes around for someone, anyone who could tell the boy to lay off. But the parking lot was empty, and he was growing impatient with your stubbornness. You felt his presence grow closer, and you had officially lost your patience.

"Leave me the fuck alone." You seethed through gritted teeth, turning to face the boy. His figure towered over yours, but you were determined to not show any fear.

"What, are you gonna make me?" He whispered inching closer to your face.

"Dude, she told you to go." A familiar voice sounded behind Justin. You looked past the slimy teen to see Steve Harrington, who looked like he was just about ready to kill Justin.

"We were just getting started Harrington, why don't you get lost?" Justin said, grabbing your arm roughly and pulling you to his side. His sudden forcefulness took you by surprise, and before you could even think about it you had knee'd him where you were sure it would hurt the most.

He toppled over clutching his stomach, and Steve was soon by your side. He had pushed you gently behind him before you could get another swing at the boy on the ground.

"Justin go, before this gets way uglier." Steve warned. Justin regained his composure, standing up straight and you could have sworn there was smoke leaving his ears.

"That little bitch is gonna get what she deserves!" Justin screamed charging towards you with his fist high in the air. Justin had tried to reach you, but Steve pushed him back, only making the boy more angry. Justin punched Steve square in the eye, making him stumble back a bit before regaining balance.

"Okay... now it's my turn." Steve seethed through gritted teeth before socking Justin right in the jaw, knocking him down in seconds. Steve ran his hands through his hair, his facial features giving a shocked look. This must've been his first time winning a fight.Justin was out cold, lying on the floor of the parking lot. His friends must have heard the commotion, because you saw them charge towards the both of you as soon as the saw what had happened.

"We need to go... now!" You shouted, grabbing Steve's hand and rushing towards your car. He slid across the hood to the passenger seat, the angry group of teens close on your tails. You scrambled inside and peeled out of the parking lot, leaving the mall in a flash.

"Holy shit... that was insane!" Steve shouted excitedly, drumming his hands on the dashboard as music softly through the radio. You smiled weakly at him, trying to grasp what had just happened.

"Y/n, are you okay?" He questioned, suddenly concern etching his perfect features."Yeah, thanks for saving my ass back there Harrington. But I think I could have handled him on my own." You teased, making the boy erupt in laughter.

"Don't mention it, I've been wanting to kick his ass since the first time he made a move on you in the shop, now I had a good reason." Your heart soared at this reply. Trying desperately to hide your flushed cheeks, you focused your eyes on the road ahead.

You pulled into his driveway slowly, trying to make the ride as long as possible. Suddenly, a question you should have asked yourself from the start of the fight raced through your mind.

"Wait, why were you out all the way by my car Steve? Don't you park in the back?" You asked.

"Well.... I uh.... I was actually going to ask you something tonight..." Steve said lowly, trying to avoid eye contact with your confused face.

"Ask me what?"

"I was actually gonna ask you if you wanted to hang out sometime. Like out of the mall. But it's totally cool if you don't want to... I'm like super busy anyways." He stumbled with his words, making you laugh in amusement.

"I think I would actually like that." You said through laughs, making him turn to you in shock.

"I just can't believe THE Steve Harrington asked ME on a date!" You teased in a sing-song voice, making him roll his eyes. You laughed hysterically at your own joke, and you were sure you looked like a hyena. But before you could calm down lips were connected with yours.

And it dawned on you that Steve was kissing you. Butterflies soared through your stomach and you felt him smirk into the kiss cockily. You pulled away, making him pout like a small child. "Okay Farrah Faucet, you have to take me on that date before you get anything else."

"Goodnight y/n." He said with an eye roll, kissing your forehead before exiting the car and into his house. You sat at the wheel shocked for a moment, still trying to figure out if this was real. You drove home in a peaceful silence, wondering what you would do without that Harrington.