Chapter nine

Chapter 9: (Olivia's POV)

"Liv, come over please!!!" Amber screamed as the car was parked in my driveway since Austin was dropping me off at my house but before I could get out of the car, Amber started screaming trying to get me to go over to theirs. 

"Please?" her and Austin pouted and pleaded in sync. I was set on saying no but then I turned around and made the mistake of looking at the little girl sitting in the back. "Fine." I sighed in defeat and stayed seated while Austin backed out of my driveway and drove into his. He turned the car off and stepped out and walked over to my side and opened the door for me. 

"Already improving I see." I teased as I opened Amber's door and helped her get out while Austin went and opened the front door. I held Amber's hand as we walked in through the front door and let it go once we got inside.

"I'm gonna go shower." Amber said before running up the stairs, stepping on each step with both her feet and eventually getting up there and running to a hallway down the right where I'm assuming her room was. 

"So..." I trailed off as Austin and I settled into an awkward silence. 

"So..." he mimicked. See this is why I didn't want to come. I mean, she's a kid so she's probably not gonna be there the whole time I'm over which means I would have to be left alone with Austin at one point I just didn't think it would be right as I entered their house.

"Do you wanna watch a movie?" he asked as he sat down on their couch and grabbed the TV remote while looking for a movie to watch on netflix. "Sure." I sighed as I sat down next to him, at a fair distance of course. 

"You don't have to sit so far away you know. I don't bite." he said as he turned to me and gave me a pointed look. "Somehow I don't find that totally convincing." I shrugged as I turned my gaze to the screen so we could pick a movie. "Up?" I suggested? It's a good movie but it's awfully sad. "Too sad." he shook his head.

"Birdbox?" I prompted. It's not too bad of a movie. I know there's people out there who hate it and it caused a little controversy but I actually like it. 

"Nah, seen it too many times." he excused. 

"What about Murder Mystery? Have you seen it yet?" I've heard it's good. It's the new movie with Jennifer Aniston and Adam Sandler. "No actually, I haven't. Let's watch it." he said as he clicked on it. I was sitting on the couch when suddenly I felt the lower part of it lift up and the backrest lean back and turn into a bed. 

Unfortunately, it happened so fast that I let out a gasp in panic which Austin happened to find very amusing. So the recliner couch turns into a bed, sorry I didn't know. 

They're a rich family, that's no secret but pretty much everyone on our street is. I know that includes me but unlike most people, I don't show it off. Surprisingly neither does Austin. Apart from when it comes to his cars.

"It wasn't that funny." I said but he continued laughing anyway. "Well then, I'm glad I can humour you." I said as the movie started.

"Austee!" we heard Amber call from upstairs. He let out a sigh before grabbing my hand and pulling me up a little too fast, making us collide. "Slow down will you?" I said a little breathless. Why was I breathless. "Austee!!!" we heard Amber yell louder.

"Let's go, Austee." I smirked as I pushed him towards the stairs while following him up and into Amber's room. We walked up there and saw her standing in front of her bed with a matching set of pajamas on and a towel with a hairbrush in her hand. 

"Please?" she smiled an adorable smile. 

"Why doesn't Liv do it today and I watch?" he pushed me forward slightly with a smirk on his face. "Uh- sure." I said as I placed her on the bed and sat down behind her while taking the towel and hairbrush from her hands. 

I started off with the towel and dried her hair with it first. I then grabbed the brush and carefully brushed through it, making sure not to pull too hard. 

I brushed it through and ruffled it a little before looking up and seeing Austin watching me with what seemed like adoration but he was quick to notice me looking and covered it up. I tapped Amber's shoulder and said, "All done." I said, making her smile before hopping off the bed and running into Austin's arms.

"She did good?" he asked her as he held out his hand for her to give a high five to. He raised his eyebrows at her expectantly. "Yeah!" Amber said cheerfully before giving him a high five. He put her down before she ran downstairs leaving me up here with Austin. 

I got off the bed and tried to walk past him but he shifted his feet so he was standing right in front of me, blocking the exit. "Are you planning to move or-" I started but he cut me off by pinning me to the wall right next to the door. "She really likes you." he pointed out. 

Did he just get a stroke or something? What is he doing? "And you had to pin me to the wall to tell me that because..." I trailed off. It was almost like he snapped out of a trance and immediately took a step back and let me go. 

Suddenly the doorbell rang and we ran down so Amber wouldn't open it without someone older there. I held her in my arms while Austin opened the door to reveal a lady in her early forties standing there with a purse. 

"I just came to grab a couple things, I'll be in Turkey for the next couple weeks." she said frantically as she walked right past all three of us, like we weren't even there. "How's Amber, has she been doing ok?" she asked as she grabbed a water bottle for herself. 

"Mommy?" Amber spoke and suddenly the lady came to a halt and turned and looked at us all.

"Oh honey, you've grown." she walked over to me and took Amber in her arms. Amber laughed while her mom placed kisses all over her face. It stung a little just seeing her get so much love while Austin wasn't even spared a second glance. I knew that feeling way too well.

"Are you staying now mommy?" Amber looked up at her mom with hope glimmering in her eyes while I looked over at Austin to see him looking down at the floor. Wait, why isn't she even looking at him? "No honey, I'm leaving in a few minutes." she told Amber with almost no sadness in her voice. 

"Why?" I could already see tears forming in her eyes.

"Why do you really have to go mom? You haven't been here for the past six months." Austin spoke up. "Oh honey, I didn't even see you standing there." she laughed awkwardly. 

Are you kidding me? I was treated exactly the same but watching someone else get treated like this, angered me way more. Suddenly out of nowhere, Amber started sobbing. "Don't go!" she clung onto her mom. 

"Handle her honey. I have things to do." she said as she practically tossed Amber over to Austin. I felt my eyes sting with tears. I wasn't sure if it was anger or sadness. I looked over at Austin to see him fuming with anger. 

She quickly came back with a bag in her hands and ran out the door without saying goodbye. Amber screamed, "Let me go!" she slipped out of Austin's grasp and ran up.

I saw Austin look down with his jaw clenched. No one deserves to be treated like this. No one. He couldn't meet my eyes. Before I knew what I was doing, I went and hugged him. "It's ok Austin. It's ok." I whispered before I felt him wrap his arms around my waist tightly, refusing to let go.

.

.

.

.

.

Well, that took a turn :(