Chapter thirteen

Chapter 13: (Olivia's POV)

It took me a minute to realize that the reason I freaked out wasn't entirely because of Amber but it was also because Austin was doing things that could get him in trouble and if he did that, then Amber wouldn't have anyone and when I was younger, my brother got arrested a bunch of times, he started getting in trouble on a daily and that left me with no one because my parents weren't ever home and neither was my brother, he was too busy in jail and at the station with the cops. 

Jackson and Austin were friends for a little bit, they got really close the last time we saw Jackson last summer. 

Austin was one of our neighbors and we don't have too many kids our age in this neighbourhood so when Austin and Jackson met, they bonded on being one of the few guys our age in this neighbourhood. They played soccer together, basketball together, went to watch games together all that guy stuff while Emily and I usually sat here at home. 

After that, Austin introduced Kyle to Jackson. They didn't exactly hit it off at the beginning but they became well acquainted. Kyle didn't like Jackson, he told me he thinks my brother's a bad influence. I don't know what made him say that and I couldn't disagree because he was with the cops more than half the time. 

"You haven't spoken to him in six months?" Austin asked, snapping me out of my thoughts. "Mm-mm." I shook my head as I lifted my glasses that slid down my nose and stood up. 

"Have you parents spoken to him?" Austin questioned further.

"I don't know, Austin. I would have to speak to my parents to find out and that hasn't happened in a hot minute either. The last time that I spoke to Jackson was when you two started hanging out. Before you asked me out. That's it, that's all I know." I huffed before I walked over to my desk and took out the English homework I had and started working on it to distract myself from the now not so happy and teasing mood.

 It was a poem that we had to analyse. I read the poem twice before grabbing a pen to start annotating and when I did, I blanked out. I had no idea where to start, what to write, I forgot what a metaphor was and what a simile was. Personification was a brand new word to me and English became a foreign language. 

I heard Austin sigh before he grabbed the pen from my hand and spun my chair so I was facing him. "Liv, don't distract yourself with work right now. You're not gonna be able to focus and do it right." he sighed as he kneeled down in front of the chair with his hands holding mine which rested in my lap. 

"I haven't spoken to my brother in six months, to my parents in eight." I took a deep breath and blinked back the tears that were forming in my eyes.

"You don't think that's messed up?" I started breathing a little heavy and failing to push the sadness and pain away.

"No." he shook his head. "I don't think that's messed up. I really don't." he said before standing up and helping me up to my feet as well. "I hadn't spoken to my mom until yesterday in six months and to my dad in over a year. You didn't think that was messed up did you?" he asked me.

I kept my eyes on the floor while shaking my head no. I didn't think that was messed up. It was sad and shocking but it wasn't messed up because even though I have both my parents, I truly have neither, and so does he. 

"Then why would I think this is messed up?" he asked me but I just stayed silent. "Liv." he paused and lifted my chin so I looked up at him. "It's ok." he whispered before engulfing me into a hug. I froze for a second before wrapping my arms around his neck. This was just a repeat of last night, except Jackson still wasn't here and it was me who was hurt. 

Last night, Amber sobbed and Austin was visibly hurt, today it was my turn. I stood here with tears silently streaming down my face while I was hurt. "Please don't cry." he whispered in my ear. "I know you're crying and I know it hurts but please don't." he said pleadingly. 

Why was he trying so much? It just didn't make any sense? Was he just going this far so the bet? "Liv, please don't cry. For yourself. Just don't." he whispered before he pulled away and took my glasses off before he pulled his sleeve down before wiping my tears with it. 

He threw a shirt on in the morning and it was full sleeved since it's January and it still gets cold in the mornings and evenings. "You'll survive. You have been for so long." he continued to wipe my tears away before tucking a loose strand of hair behind my hair. 

"I mean, you only have what, a year left in this town anyway. Then you'll be free to go wherever you want." he put a smile on his face but it didn't quite reach his eyes. That doesn't happen often. He smirks and when he smiles, it's that baby smile.

"Are you gonna leave too? After graduation?" I managed to question with short breaths and suddenly a dry throat from crying. He shook his head with a sad smile on his lips, "No." he paused. 

"I can't. I have Amber to take care of. I requested my aunt and uncle to take care of her but they refused. They don't want a kid to take care of, that's why they don't have one." he explained. He sounded really sad. 

"Do you want to leave? If given the chance, would you?" I asked while wiping my own tears away now. 

"In a heartbeat. I'd go to some other small town, not too far but far enough. I'd leave Amber in better hands than mine and I'd do what I like." he told me with a genuine faint smile and very faint blush on his cheeks.

 "And what is that?" I asked curiously, breathing fine and calm now. 

"I like to race. I do it in the bad part of town." he admitted while looking down at his feet. 

"At the race field?" I asked a little surprised and shocked. From what I've heard, a lot of people go there and race illegally to get money. He just nodded guiltily. "That's so cool." I spit out before I could keep my mouth shut.

 His snapped up to meet mine so fast. "Y-you think that's cool? You don't think it's bad?" he asked me with shock and surprise shining through his eyes. 

"It's illegal so yeah, it's kind of bad but it's so cool. I find it amazing that people race. I can't imagine what kind of thrill that gives you. The adrenaline." I blurted out in awe. 

"That's exactly why I do it. For the thrill." he softly chuckled. "It's the only exciting thing in my life." he scratched the back of his neck which most people do when they're nervous or blushing or when they're feeling awkward.

I stared at his cheeks for a while to see them turn pinker and pinker by the second. My eyes widened. "Are you blushing?" I asked teasingly. Oh, I love being annoying. But I hate being annoyed. But I still love being annoying. 

"No, why would I blush?" he asked looked at the floor which suddenly became the most interesting thing in my entire room for him. Then it hit me. 

"You've never told anyone about this have you?" I asked him while narrowing my eyes in realization.

 "Nope. Just you." he said quietly. "Please don't tell anyone. I already get in enough trouble with the cops and teachers at school. It's just Mr Harrison who likes me." he looked nervous. 

"I won't tell anyone. Promise." I stuck my pinky out. What? Pinky promises are my foundation of trust. What are you talking about? "Ok." he laughed before tangling his pinky with mine and touching our thumbs. 

"Austee!" Amber yelled.

"That's my cue." he smiled before we walked downstairs.

.

.

.

.

.

Just dropping in to remind you that I updated the cast