Chapter nineteen

Chapter 19: (Olivia's POV)

"Every person is not the issue here, you are. I have to shut you out, otherwise I'll get heartbroken. Don't you get that? You might have blindly agreed to the bet for selfish reasons but that doesn't mean that it's going to work in your favor. I know about the bet and I'm not gonna let you win." I ranted on and on and on. "I know you want to win, but I don't want to get hurt!" I explained myself even though I shouldn't have to.

"Olivia!" he screamed, and suddenly I shut up and froze. "Stop talking for a goddamn second will you?" he stepped back and ran his hand through his hair in frustration.

"Sorry." I mumbled so freaking faintly, that I was almost one hundred percent sure that he didn't hear me, but he did and he smiled. He freaking smiled.

"Olivia Jones, you are so freaking oblivious and stupid. Do you realize I'll probably get heartbroken too? And I'm still being stupid and doing this for a freaking bet. I'm well aware that I'll probably develop feelings for you and you'll never forgive me after I leave you, if I do. But I'm still being dumb and stupid and doing this. Take a risk, Olivia. You make me want to be better whether we like it or not and you like my company whether we like it or not." he told me, holding my face in his hands again.

This time I didn't bother pushing him off because he was right.

I was enjoying his company because he's the first person to keep me from feeling lonely, whether I like it or not and I was making him be better for himself and I was there for him, whether I wanted to be or not. I'm doing this to myself just as much as he's doing it to me. I'm breaking my own heart.

"Fine. I'll take the risk." I whispered to myself before I looked up to see him grinning from ear to ear.

"You just made me so happy. I could kiss you right now!" he said in a cheerful voice as he picked me up and placed my on the countertop, I felt the heat rise to my cheeks and I just knew they were gonna be pink.

"Do not kiss me." I told him, trying to sound stern but obviously failing.

"Or what?" he arched an eyebrow at me before he started leaning in. Why wasn't I pulling away? Why wasn't I pulling away? Why wasn't I- the sound of his phone ringing interrupted my internal freak out. He let out a sigh before taking his phone out of his pocket and answering it.

"Hello?" he spoke into the phone, still not moving from right in front of me, with his left hand still beside my thigh. "Ok, I'll be right there." he spoke into the phone before hanging up.

"I have to go. Amber's fallen asleep at her friend's house. I told her eight thirty was still late." he laughed to himself and I felt my heart flutter a little. He looked so adorable standing there laughing at absolutely nothing to laugh at. Wait. No, Liv. Stop.

Just because I'm gonna take the risk doesn't mean I'll not try and prevent it. I'm still trying not to fall for him and I'll keep trying till I feel like I actually mean something more than just a bet to him. Because right now, even though I'm enjoying spending time with him, I am just a bet. He's here to win the bet, not because he wants to be.

"I have to go get her so I'll see you at school?" he asked, snapping me out of my daze.

"Huh? What?" I asked in utter confusion. He chuckled at me before repeating himself.

"See you at school?" he asked me again. I just nodded, speechless because I was still recovering from the fact that I wasn't pulling away when he leaned in to kiss me. He leaned in, stopping right beside my left ear.

"Bye." he whispered, sending chills down my spine instantly. I pushed him back while fighting back a blush.

"Bye." I said while walking him out. He leaned in and quickly kissed my cheek before jogging over to his house while screaming,

"Sorry!" I closed my door and leaned against it, laughing to myself at his actions.

"I'm so fucked." I scoffed to myself before glancing over to the clock in the living room which read seven forty five. I decided to go and apply a face mask since I had absolutely nothing better to do. My homework was done, I had watched enough movies for a day, I planned to read but that was for later and I now had no company, and I was back in my house, all by myself. Exactly how it always is, how it always has been.

I was in my bathroom, about to apply my facemask when my phone rang. I let out a sigh before going and answering it without checking the caller ID. "Hello?" I asked into the phone. Instead of someone saying hello, I was greeted by a sniffle.

I pulled the phone away from my ear and checked who called me, it was Emily. "Em, what's going on? Are you ok?" I questioned while beginning to gather my stuff because I had a feeling I was gonna have to go over.

I waited for her to say something, but she just sniffled. "We broke up." she cried. I grabbed my keys for the house and the car, and sprinted down the stairs and out the door.

"What? What happened?" I asked into the phone.

"H-he came over. He t-told me h-he wanted to talk." she paused and let out a muffled cry as I got into my car. I synched the phone to the car with bluetooth and began driving. I had mercedes benz which used to be my dad's but he never really used since he was never really here.

A lot of people I know have this car, Austin being one of them. He owns a jeep along with a mercedes and a porsche. Yeah I know, rich kid but fortunately, he doesn't like to brag and show off.

"What did he say?" I pressed her further while speeding a little, this is gonna be a long ass forty five minute drive with her crying over the phone.

"He s-said things weren't- they weren't working anym-anymore." she continuously sobbed.

"Did he tell you why he thought they weren't working anymore?" I questioned in utter confusion.

I knew things were a little rough between them since she told me yesterday, but this has happened before and usually, Em is the one who instantly jumps to breaking up but one way or another, Kyle convinces her to stay and work things out instead of walking out on their relationship. What the hell pushed him over the edge this time?

"He wouldn't tell me." she sniffled. "He came over in the morning and we were fine at the beginning. Then he went on the phone with Au-Austin. An h-hour or so after that, h-he broke up with me." she cried. Austin? I felt my jaw clench before I swerved and spun the car back in the direction of my house.

I started driving in the direction of his house and once I was close enough, I saw that his car was parked in the driveway, meaning he was back with Amber. "I'm on my way Em, it might take a while but, I'll be there. As soon as possible I promise."

I said before hanging up and pulling into his driveway. I stomped out of the car, and marched up to his door. I knocked three times before he swung the door open. He saw my expression and his smirk instantly vanished. I grabbed his arm and pulled him out into the driveway.

"Why didn't you tell me he was gonna break up with her? You were on the phone with him, an hour after that, he broke up with her. Why?" I screamed while shoving him back, even though he didn't budge.

"What the hell are you talking about? On the phone with who?" he asked me, sounding genuinely confused.

"Kyle. He broke up with her!" I yelled. "And you know why." I spoke with anger.

"He broke up with her? Why would he do that? He was gonna surprise her with a gift today!" he yelled before smacking his hand over his mouth, realizing he probably wasn't supposed to tell me that.

"A gift?"

.

.

.

.

.

Cliffhangers just suck don't they?