Chapter fourteen

Chapter 14: (Olivia's POV)

"Pancakes?"

"Mm-mm." she shook her head.

"Waffles?"

"Nope."

"Hash browns." she thought for a minute.

"Yes." she nodded ecstatically. We've been here for the past five minutes, giving her options for breakfast. She woke up very confused as to where she was and then she complained about being hungry so I asked if she wanted cereal, no to that, fruit, not at all, oats, those were gross, toast with guac, not really, there was absolutely nothing of her liking, that me or Austin knew how to make. 

Why didn't I think of hash browns earlier? I make them for myself all the time. "Hash browns it is then." Austin let out an exasperated sigh and headed over to my kitchen while throwing his arms up in the air. 

"You've spoiled your little princess." I laughed as I followed him into the kitchen after turning the tv on for Amber and playing beauty and the beast since it was showcasing.

"A little too much I think." he mumbled under his breath while grabbing the pot. 

"No, not too much. She knows when she's done the wrong thing she knows when to do or not to do something. You raised her just fine." I told him reassuringly before grabbing some potatoes and starting to peel.

"Did I though? I mean I can never do what a dad or mom would but we don't have them in our lives. But I guess I'm old enough, to take care of my younger sister and deal with my problems." he let out a sigh before grabbing a potato and starting to peel it with another peeler. 

I breathed in before saying, "No. You're not old enough. You're just seventeen, fourteen when she was born. You should be living your own life right now but you're raising her, and you might not want to admit it, but you don't hate it, instead, you love every second of it." I answered him with a smile playing at my lips and one tugging at his. 

"Liv?" he asked. I hummed in response. "Do you still hate me?" he asked, making me freeze. Do I hate him? I mean there's no denying that once upon a time I did but do I still?

 "I don't know, Austin. I don't know." I told him truthfully before getting back to peeling. 

"Does that mean there's a chance that you don't?" he asked and I didn't need to look at him to know that he was grinning, you could hear the smile in his voice. "Mm-hmm." I nodded, avoiding eye contact because I knew seeing that smile would only make it harder to stay away and why would I do that to myself. 

This is Austin King we're talking about. The player who breaks rules and hearts. I don't want my heart to be another one added to that god damn list.

"Unfortunately, you're never gonna have me." I told him with a sigh while peeling the last bit off the potato. 

"And why is that?" he asked as he took a step closer to me. I saw him from my peripheral vision, inching closer and closer. 

"Because you refuse to tell me who made that damn bet." I turned to face him and saw him centimeters away from me. One of us just had to lean a little forwards and we'd kiss. Usually in this circumstance, I would have taken a step back but my ego for once took the wheel. 

"You know I can't tell you that." he whispered.

"And you know that I can't go out with you yet here we are, wanting the things we can't have." I arched an eyebrow at him while speaking in a low voice. 

"You won't go out with me." he paused. "There's a difference." he finished while inching closer

"Why would I want to go out with someone who made a bet on me?" I inched closer out of anger without realizing. 

"I didn't make the bet, I just agreed to it." he defended himself. Or well, tried to. 

"That's just as bad if not worse." I cocked my head to the side challengingly. I will not go out with Austin King, whatever the hell happens. 

"That is nowhere near worse." he raised a brow at me. 

"Then I guess it's just as bad." I whispered before getting on with making food for Amber.

He didn't have a witty remark to say for once, so he just stood there and watched me while I cooked. Creepy much? Suddenly my phone rang and he snapped out of his daze. My hands were dirty so he grabbed it from the counter top and held it to my ear after answering it.

"Hello?" I asked into the phone. 

"Hey, wanna hang out today?" Emily asked over the phone. I knew he heard her so I looked at him in anticipation. 'Say no' he mouthed. And for some unknown reason, I listened. 

"Sorry, I'm a little busy today. I have a shift at the bookstore." I lied and watched his expression turn to a confused one. 

"I thought you didn't work on weekends." Emily pointed out. 

"They needed me for an emergency. Bethany bailed." I lied. Sorry Bethany. Let me explain, during the week, on Mondays and Fridays, I work a three house shift at the town bookstore. I didn't go this past Friday because it was my monthly leave and now I'm lying to my best friend because the bad boy said so. What is going on? Where the hell did I go wrong?

"Oh nevermind then. Are you coming to school tomorrow?" she questioned.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" I asked her with confusion laced in my voice.

"Just think about it, ok? You don't have to be there tomorrow. Just so you know." she informed me. What the hell is she going on about? I looked at Austin in confusion.

"Do you know something that I don't but I should?" I asked her suspiciously.

"Yeah. I know that you're about to get your period." she said as if it were obvious. I felt heat rush up to my cheeks but I quickly collected myself.

"Why do you know that?" I asked very confused. 

"Because I do, ok? Just, don't show up if you're having cramps. Pain makes you scary and sad." she sighed. 

"Noted. I gotta go see you tomorrow bye." I said before gesturing for Austin to hang up. 

"So the devil's gonna pay a visit tomorrow then huh?" Austin smirked at me.

"Well, you're already here." I shrugged, making his smirk drop. "Yes, I just compared you to periods. You both make my life harder than it has to be so..." I trailed off.

"Oh really?" he asked teasingly. I was about to say yes but then I felt a poke in my side and I jumped and squealed. 

"Do not do that while I'm cooking." I told her sternly only for him to do it again. 

"Austee!" Amber yelled from the living room.

"Go. Please go. Get out of here, go." I told him while I placed the hash browns into a plate and poured some orange juice for Amber. 

"Nope." he deadpanned.

"Can you guys please hurry? I'm getting hungry!" she yelled again.

I walked over to her with the plate and glass in my hand.

"Breakfast served for the princess." I placed it on the table in front of her, making her grin.

"Thank you!" she shrieked.

.

.

.

.

.

Introducing a new character soon!!!