Chapter twelve

Chapter 12: (Austin's POV)

What do I do? What do I do? What do I do? I can't tell her who made the bet but I sure as hell can't lose it. I won't lose it. My ego is too big. I know, I know that's bad but that's how it is. Not to mention that if she finds out who the person that made the bet is, her life will be ruined.

And she'll lose one of the only people she still has. I regret making that bet, yes, I do but it's already done. I've already made it and so I plan to win it. "Liv, how about this. Just give me some time and I'll tell you, ok? I can't tell you now because I'm not ready to tell you and I know you're not ready to know. You won't be able to handle it Liv so I-" I was trying to explain but she didn't let me finish.

"That's not your decision to make, Austin. I get to decide when I'm ready. Not you." she looked at me sternly. I was just glad she wasn't pitying me because of last night. Maybe it's because she goes through the same thing but I hate when people pity me and the fact that she didn't keeps me from hating her.

"I understand that but I just-" I was talking but the sound of loud sobbing from the couch cut me off. How did she wake up? She usually doesn't wake up till nine or after. Let's just ignore that I ran with her in my arms.

"Go to her will you?" Liv told me before walking up the stairs and into what I assume was her room. I walked over to Amber and saw her crying in her sleep. I sat there for the next ten minutes, calming her down and putting her back to sleep. I lifted her head off my lap and walked over to the stairs at the end of which I stood.

I saw a door slowly open and reveal Liv in a fresh set of pyjamas with her hair thrown up in a bun while she had a pair of glasses on. She saw me standing there and let out a sigh before walking down the stairs but stopping at the last step since I was standing right in front of it.

She spoke, "I thought you would've left by now." she said before glancing over to the couch and seeing Amber sleeping again.

"Nope. Still here." I shrugged while folding my arms across my chest. "Since when do you wear glasses?" I asked a little amused while trying to lighten the mood and tension present in the room.

"Since none of your business." she huffed and tried to move to my left to walk past me but I moved too and blocked her way. She just gave me a pointed look. "I wear them sometimes. When necessary. Can you please move?" she answered my question with a sigh.

"Fine then, don't move." she huffed as she moved a steps up and jumped over the railing, landing right on her feet. "I'll get down somehow." she raised an eyebrow at me before going into her kitchen and grabbing an orange which she started to peel.

So she found a way down without having to deal with me. I was impressed and surprised to say the least but let's not get into that. Or actually let's get into that. Now, I know for a fact that she did not just do that to impress me or sass me, she did that just to get away from me and maybe sass me a little but that's ok.

I've annoyed the shit out of her for the past year and she still has patience with me and maybe she's a little sassy sometimes but she's never been mean to me. Never been rude or said anything to hurt me. She's nice to me even though she hates me.

"Austin you should seriously just leave because at this point-" she was saying but her doorbell rang and cut her off. She sighed and walked over to it while I followed her and stood at the wall next to the door, leaning on it with the door opened on my right.

"C-can I help you?" she stuttered and suddenly looked nervous. Who the hell is at the door? I was about to step out from behind the door and see but then I heard them,

"I'm sheriff Brown. I'm looking for Austin King. Have you by any chance seen him?" the man said and I instantly froze. She looked confused as glanced at me. This is her chance. She'll rat me out an get rid of me. I'll be in trouble for a while and I'll have to stay away from her. I'll lose the bet.

"No, I haven't seen him since Friday. Can I know what he did?" she asked as she crossed her arms across her chest and stood there firmly.

"He's gonna have to come over to the station under vandalization charges. He was caught vandalizing the back of the school on Thursday night. We weren't informed until Friday." Sheriff Brown explained. "What about the neighbors? Could they have seen him?" Brown asked her.

"Um- I don't think so. That house has been up for sale for a few months. It's empty." she told them truthfully.

"Correct me if I'm wrong but you are Olivia Jones, yes?" he asked her as I heard him click a pen. "Yeah, I am. But what do I have anything to do with Austin?" she asked as her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"We've seen him follow you around for the past couple days and wanted to make sure he hasn't caused you any trouble by any chance. Has he?" Brown pressed her further. She'll probably tell them, great. Just, kill me now.

"No, he hasn't caused me any trouble. We're just friends and we've been arguing here and there." she lied smoothly.

"Look kid, you don't need to lie to me. The whole town knows he's been trying to take you out." Brown sighed.

"Then the whole town knows I avoid him right? What makes you think I out of all people would know where he is?" she argued. She has a point though. I heard sheriff Brown sigh before saying,

"Could you please just call the station anytime you see him?" he requested. She just nodded before I heard the car drive away while she closed her door. She finally looked at me with a pointed and angry look.

"You idiot!" she shoved me back and further into the wall. "What the hell is wrong with you? Why would you vandalize the school?" she pushed me again.

"You have a little sister, Austin. You can't afford to get in trouble when you're the one taking care of her. If you would have gotten arrested then where the hell was she gonna go?" she asked me while pushing me repeatedly.

"Technically I wouldn't have gotten arrested. I'm seventeen." I pointed out only earning a harder push. "You are such an idiot!" she said again and tried to push me again but I caught her wrists.

"Why are you freaking out so much about this?" I asked her confused. She opened her mouth to say something but no words came out. She just stood there, confused. She visibly gulped before taking her wrists out of my grasp and walking up into her room.

I followed her up and shut the door, leaning on it while she just sat at the foot of her bed. "Olivia." I addressed her by her first name for the first time. Her eyes snapped up to mine. She just looked at me. "Why did you freak out so much?" I asked her softer than the last time.

I have to be patient with her, I just do. "Because Amber is your sister, Austin and if you get in trouble, she won't have anyone. I know that because my brother got into trouble too that's exactly why I never had anyone." she said really softly while looking down at the floor.

Jackson used to get into a lot of trouble when he was in high school. He's in his last year of college right now. He's five years older than both Liv and I and the last time we saw him was last year during summer.

After that, he didn't show up for Liv's birthday in December or any of the holidays we have. That summer is the worst I've ever had. I made a huge mistake that summer but it's done now, there's no point dwelling over it. "When was the last time you spoke to him?" I questioned her.

"The last time I saw him was the last time I spoke to him. I don't know where he is now. His college sent a letter home informing us he's been missing most classes."

Where the hell did Jackson go?

.

.

.

.

.