Chapter forty-five

Chapter 45: (Austin's POV)

"Amber?" I asked in surprise. I wasn't ready to talk to her yet. I was just beginning to accept the fact that she's gonna be gone for a while and now I have to hear her voice and accept it all over again. I know I'm being selfish with this when I shouldn't but I just have to. 

"Austee!" I heard her sob over the phone and my heart shattered right there. 

"What's wrong? Princess, what happened?" I asked, my voice laced with concern and worry. I felt Liv tense beside me but I have to focus on Amber right now. 

"Austee I wanna come home! I wanna come home! Please come get me I hate it here!" she sobbed hysterically over the phone. My jaw clenched and unclenched while Liv held my hand tightly, reassuring me. 

"Why? What happened? I thought you and mom were gonna have fun!" I lied to her, trying to get her to calm down and be happy and just breathe. I sighed, holding in my anger. 

"No! Mommy keeps yelling and- and grandma and grandpa are mean to me and m- mommy is never here! She's never here!" she screamed through hiccups. "Austee, please! Just come here! I don't like it here! I miss you!" she shouted. 

How is no one there to calm her down yet? This was not ok. I have to go get her. Now. "Ok, listen to me, Amber," I spoke to her sternly. She stopped crying as quickly as she could and gave me her undivided attention. I had taught her to always listen, especially when I call her Amber.

"I'm gonna need you to hold on, just for a little while, until tomorrow ok? I'm gonna get there with Liv, and we're gonna get you out of there ok? Don't tell anyone. It's our secret. You hear me?" I spoke to her softly but sternly. 

She hiccuped before speaking and sniffled a little, making my heart clench. "Ok. Tomorrow? You promise?" she sniffled again. I gulped while figuring out my plan. 

"I promise," I assured her. "I'm gonna need you to calm down ok? Get some water, go back to bed." if I wasn't wrong, it was still very early in the morning there right now, she needs to calm down so she's ok when I get there. 

"Ok. I love you Austee, bye," she whispered into the phone. 

"Bye, I love you," I whispered back before hanging up. I turned to face Liv with my eyes glossed over. 

"What's wrong? What happened to her? Is she ok?" Liv shot questions at me. 

"She hates it there, Liv. They're not treating her right. I'm flying in to pick her up." I sighed while running my hands over my face in frustration. 

"I'm coming with you." she propped up on her knees and made her way in front of me. "I'm coming with you, and we're gonna go get her, and we're gonna bring her back, and it'll all be ok." she wrapped her arms around my neck and pulled me into her embrace, calming me down quickly but smoothly.

I took in a deep breath, inhaling her scent before pulling away and grabbing my phone, calling the only person I can think of right now, my mom's assistant, David. "Hello? Austin?" he asked through the phone. 

"David where are you?" I questioned into the phone.

"Turkey, for your mom's new clothing's shoot, what's wrong?" he questioned, concern present in his tone. 

"I need your help. I need a flight to New York right now." I told him sternly.

"Pack your things, I'll send details in a minute. I told her not to take her." he sighed before hanging up. David has been there for Amber and me at times my mother hasn't. He's the closest thing to family that we have and I'm forever grateful for him. 

"I have to pack. We have to get there. She needs me; she needs my help. I-" I continued to panic, ramble and frantically grab stuff which I ruthlessly shoved in a suitcase that was kept under my bed. 

"Austin!" Liv called out to me sternly, catching my attention. "Breathe. Calm down. We'll get there in time. I swear." she whispered before taking my clothes out and beginning to fold them.

In about ten minutes, we finished packing all my things along with the few of hers that were out of her bag and we turned all the lights and power of the house off before I grabbed my keys and headed for my car, all with Liv by my side. 

As I got into the car, my phone rang, Liv managed to hook it to the car's Bluetooth before answering it for me. "Hello?" I spoke while backing out of my driveway. 

"Your flight is thirty minutes, gate number fifteen, leave your luggage there, I'll have it sent to the New York airport, and I'll have Jonathan come pick you up. The authorities have been told of the situation in New York and I'll have a custody case filed for you." he paused to breathe. 

"I know you're seventeen and still a minor and I know I could get fired for doing this, so shut and do not speak a word," he rambled, I closed my mouth which I opened to interrupt him and remind him that his job is on the line. 

"She's your sister and no one can take care of her the way you do. You'll be turning eighteen soon enough and she can legally be yours. Until then, I'll figure out a way to keep her in California. Austin, you're the best-" he was speaking but Liv cut him off.

"Brother she could ask for. And everything's gonna be ok, and we're gonna get her. Ok?" she spoke in a quick breath. 

"Who the hell is that?" David asked in confusion as I drove out of our neighborhood, and into the center of town, ten minutes away from the airport. "My girlfriend." I bit back a smile and sped down the street, getting closer and closer to the airport. 

"You found love? Nice. Proud of you." David cheered over the phone. David is like my gay uncle. He's hilarious and great support for me and Amber. 

"David, I've reached the airport, text me details and don't fangirl right now. I'll talk to you after we check-in, bye." I said before Liv pressed the button, hanging up. 

"Is he..." she trailed off not knowing how to ask.

"Gay? Yup." I said as I pulled into parking and was greeted by my mom's team. I got out of the car and ran over to Liv's side, getting her out too before tossing my keys to my mom's driver here in town. 

"Take the car back home, Samantha, double-check everything at home being secure, Danny, get the luggage checked in please." I grabbed the luggage and slid it over to him while taking Liv's hand in mine. 

"My passport is-" Liv began but Samantha interrupted her.

"Here!" she screamed while tossing it over to her which she caught effortlessly.

"How did you-" confusion graced her face.

"We got the keys to your house, here they are!" she threw those to her next, which she also caught.

We were quickly let in the airport and made our way to the boarding gate. While we sat and waited since we had ten minutes left till boarding, Liv texted her mom to let her know she'd be out of town so she shouldn't come back as planned.

"Thank you for coming with me even though you didn't have to." I held her hand in mine, sighing in relief that I'd get to Amber soon enough.

"For you? Anything."

And at that moment, I knew I loved her. 

But I also knew I couldn't tell her.

.

.

.

.

.

My fingers have never typed this fast in my life. I wrost this chapter in seven minutes you guys, no joke, nothing to do with the title, no pun intended even tho that isn't really a pun.