Chapter twenty two

Chapter 22: (Olivia's POV)

I grabbed my books for class and very slowly dragged myself to homeroom. I walked in and was greeted by Ms Carthy. She was my homeroom teacher and she was terrifying. She's the one teacher that I hate in this school but I make sure I don't show it and she thinks pretty ok of me so I'm usually in the clear.

However today, I won't be. Austin's with me in homeroom which means he's going to be there, or well, I hope. And if he's there, then I plan on apologizing to him one way or another. I walked into class and sat in my seat. The very back left corner. Our desks were set up with a seating arrangement of pairs so I take it we have some partner work that will have to be done. 

I sat in my seat and waited for the class to file in. One by one, students came in and sat in their seats. Then, Emily walked in, wearing her usual clothing, makeup and hair. Surprisingly, heartbreak was nowhere on her face. 

I was expecting her to seem heartbroken and even though I knew she was, had I not known, she would look just as good as she does everyday. She came and sat next to me while other students sat wherever they wanted.

Then the dreaded moment happened. Kyle and Austin walked in. They both walked in and abruptly stopped at the door. Austin was quick to recover and walk and take his seat which was in front of me while Kyle stood there at the door. He looked a lot more heartbroken than Em. Something wasn't right.

"Em, is there something that you didn't tell me?" I whispered loud enough for her to hear over the chattering of the class but soft enough for Austin not to hear. 

"I told you everything. I-I didn't think he'd be that hurt. He's the one that left me though." she whispered and quickly shut up as Ms Carthy began talking. 

"So class, as you can see, the seating arrangement is a little different for today- Kyle please sit down." she turned to Kyle who was still standing at the door with red and puffy eyes. 

"Oh my god." I whispered to myself. Nobody heard me, thank god, but he looked broken and worse up close. This is not right, they were forcing a break up that wasn't supposed to happen. They did this to themselves and they are gonna be the ones to fix it. 

"Em, you're gonna talk to him and you're gonna do it right after this class." I whispered while I turned to her to see her staring at Kyle while she gulped and nodded. 

"So, as I was saying, today we're going to be working in partners and I can tell you guys have taken seats with your friends and this is not how we're going to work. I'll be assigning your partners." she says and immediately the class broke into groans and complaints. "Zip it!" she screamed and the noise instantly died down. 

"Can the girls in this class please come and stand at the front and can the boys please go and stand at the back." she announced. 

Let me walk you through how this is going to go. She's going to tell either the girls or the guys to pick a number and she's going to assign the other gender those numbers which will decide who their partner is.

"Can each of the boys pick a number please." she spoke. Called it. I get to say I told you so. All the guys picked numbers. 

"Sixteen." Kyle spoke up looking straight at Emily. She took a deep breath from beside me. 

"Thirteen." Austin said, looking down at the floor before looking up, his eyes meeting mine. And then all the other guys followed. 

"Hmm." Ms Carthy sighed before walking in front and past all the girls giving each of them numbers. She then reached me.