Chapter thirty-one

Chapter 31: (Olivia's POV)

"I am not offering to make you breakfast ever again!" I groaned as I refrained from ripping my hair out of my scalp because once again, this boy could not decide what he wanted to eat. 

"Olivia! I already told you I want ice cream!" he folded his arms across his chest and pouted. 

"And I already told you, ice cream is not breakfast!" I mimicked his actions mockingly, he whined. 

"But I want it!" he stomped his foot as he stood up and marched over to where I was standing by the stove. "I. Want. Ice. Cream." he said word by word as he looked down at me with his eyebrows furrowed in anger and demand. He looked like a little kid. And I hate to admit it, but it was adorable. 

"Ice cream," he demanded again. "You know you want it," he spoke in a sing-song voice. "Ice cream," he whispered before leaning in further. "Please?" he bent down so we were standing eye to eye as he put on a puppy face. 

"Fine." I threw my hands up in the air and let out a sigh of defeat. I watched as his smile widened before he tapped my nose and went and sat down on a barstool, patiently waiting for his bowl of ice cream. Ok, if I still didn't think something was wrong with him, I sure did now. He's acting so childish and it's just weird seeing him so... So... So bubbly.

"Vanilla, chocolate or butterscotch?" I asked as I analyzed all the three flavored tubs of ice cream that sat in my freezer. 

"Chocolate," he said while smiling at me. This is just started to get straight-up weird. 

"Austin, why are you acting so childish? Is there something that you want? If it was the ice cream then you win, I gave you the ice cream." I spoke as I put the ice cream in a bowl for him and slid it across the countertop, luckily, he caught it just before it fell off and shattered. 

"Oh I knew I was gonna win and no, I don't want anything." he said as he took a spoonful in his mouth. "Yet." he shrugged and added. I narrowed my eyes at him while my eyebrows furrowed. 

"You're acting suspicious." I mumbled, leaning on the counter, resting my forearms on it. 

"You're getting suspicious." he mocked my look and hovered over the counter too. 

"I'm missing something here." I leaned back and folded my arms across my chest, thinking for a moment before a light bulb went off in my head. 

I gasped, "Your mom is back and you're here at my house!" my eyes widened. "Shouldn't you go see her?! I mean she hasn't been there for a while, right? Shouldn't you be spending some time with her? Talk to her about Amber and-" I continuously rambled before he smacked the countertop a few times, shutting me up.

"Liv. I don't want to see her. I'd rather be here." he smiled at me innocently before continuing to devour his ice cream.

I let out a sigh, collecting myself before walking over and sitting on the barstool beside his. "She's your mom." I breathed as my back slouched.

"No, she's my mother. There's a difference." he spun in his chair so he was facing me before spinning my chair too. "I'll figure it out, Liv." he sighed just before my doorbell rang.

I was confused as to who would be here because people don't really come over to my house but slowly, I walked to the door and opened it. "M-Mrs King." I stuttered. I'm a fucking fool.

"It's Ms." she corrected me with a glare.

"Sorry. Ms. King." I repeated myself, still in utter shock.

"Is my son here?" she raised a perfectly shaped eyebrow at me while impatience flooded through her eyes. 

"Mom?" Austin's voice interrupted us as he walked up and stood next to me. 

"We need to talk," she demanded, folding her arms across her chest.

"No, we don't. Liv shut the door." he ordered me.

"I can't shut the door on her. She's your mom." I whispered just so he could hear but judging from Ms. King's small smile, I take it she heard me crystal clear.

"She's my mother. Now shut the door, Liv." he looked at me with a glare as his jaw clenched and his hands balled into fists. 

"Austin," I whispered while sighing. He clicked his tongue in frustration before huffing. 

"Fine then, I'll just do it myself." he took a step to shut the door but I was quick enough to block him. 

"Austin," I spoke pleadingly. He shouldn't be doing this, he should give her a chance to explain. 

"Liv, move." he ordered.

"Just listen to her. For Amber." I whispered and he heard. His jaw clenched and unclenched before he took a step back while I let Mrs- Ms. King in. I didn't know they were divorced. Well, maybe they're not, I shouldn't be assuming. Maybe she just didn't take his last name. Who knows? 

"Is this your girlfriend now?" she sat in full poise on my couch, one of her legs folded over the other while her hands rested on her knees. 

"I-" I began talking but Austin didn't let me. 

"She could be but that's none of your business. What are you here for?" he interrogated her impatiently. 

"I should go," I said so quietly, I was sure no one heard it but as I stood up to go up to my room, Austin grabbed my hand, holding me in place. He stood up before saying, 

"Please don't. I can't handle her alone." he bent down at whispered in my ear. I gulped a little before sitting back in my seat.

"Things aren't looking too good for us." Ms. King sighed, her posture faltering for a bit before she recollected her poise. 

"I've got an order from the court." she paused as he felt Austin's grip on my hand tighten, making me realize he was still holding it. "I have to take Amber to New York," she informed him. "For a month." she finished as I couldn't help but have my breath get caught in my throat. 

"What do you mean for a month?" he questioned, his voice was strained and I was pretty sure I was the only one who could tell. 

"They want her to live there for a month. See how she likes it there so if we lose custody, she'll know where she's gonna be living," she explained calmly. How can someone be so calm when they're talking about losing their daughter? Austin scoffed. 

"You're gonna be there with her. The whole month?" I turned to him to see his eyes glazing a little as his grip just kept tightening. 

"Most of it, yes. Just for a week, I'll be gone. I have a new client in the city itself." she paused. "I'm now realizing how bad of a mom I've been." she dropped her poise and rested her head in her hands. I gave his hand a reassuring squeeze which he gave back.

"Yeah," he scoffed. "You've been a horrible mom." he shook his head slightly.

"I'm sorry," she spoke after a moment of silence.

"If I lose my sister because of you, I will never forgive you," Austin spoke.

"Ever."

.

.

.

.

.

Shit just got real. <3