Chapter One

"By the light of the Moon and the fire of the Sun,

I take your powers, one by one."

With my eyes still shut, I held out the chain in front of me, all the while thinking of the Larkin family members and remembering what I felt of Duvessa's magical signature to make the connection. I weaved in the conditions I'd inserted into the spell and mentally recited it over and over.

"This is my Will, let it be done."

I released the chain and opened my eyes as I pulled my arm back so that my hands were clasped in my lap. The silver chain hung in the air, suspended as though it was dangling from an invisible tree branch. I watched as the strand rose from the bottom over and over, making loops. The cord tied knots every two inches, hanging after each as a searing light burst between each tangle as they were tightened.

Each knot represented a member of the Larkin family, the space between where that family member's power was trapped.

The candles set up at each of the quarters flickered with the wind, illuminated against the night sky and the circle of fire I had visualized into creation for protection. I sat directly in the center, balanced on my knees. While the incantation had been easy, the energy used to take power from an entire family line was nearly debilitating. It was more draining because I had spent nearly an hour of preparation cleansing myself after completing a ritual to provide me with the additional energy I required. Then I had to continue to fuel the spell with energy as the power was stripped from each person.

Even now, as I watched in silence, each knot formed drained me further.

I clenched my fists, digging my nails into my palms to keep me alert. Biting my bottom lip, I recited the entire incantation in my head, emphasizing each stanza. If I was speaking aloud, I'd be shouting. Let it be done! Let it be done! Let it be done!

Suddenly, a light shone from the top of the chain, lighting a path to the bottom as though gun powder had been dusted onto it, sizzling as it descended. When it reached the bottom, a spark flew into the air, hitting the ground as a flake of ash. The chain, which I'd chosen because silver was both fire and water-resistant, fell to the ground, landing in a perfect circle around the center candle I'd used for the element of spirit.

Silence descended as though, for just a moment, I was encased in a soundproof bubble.

Moments later, the sounds of crickets, the rustling of trees, and the lapping water of the lake beyond the cliff picked up again.

Releasing the breath that I'd unconsciously held, I reached down and took the chain, counting the knots. Eleven. There were eleven family members that had had their powers stripped, so seven that I didn't know of. I felt a twinge of doubt overtaking away the powers of unsuspecting people who I didn't know deserved the punishment, but then I remembered the tweak that I'd made to the spell. If they were good, they'd only be affected until such time that they proved it.

"Nora!"

The dry leaves on the pathway leading to the clearing crunched beneath the sole of Calin's shoes as he came closer, and I smiled. It was perfect timing. I'd asked him to leave me alone for a couple of hours so that I could figure things out and the time he'd provided had been just enough to allow me to complete the spell I'd threatened Duvessa with. I couldn't have done it if anyone was around. It was too draining, and I wouldn't have been able to mask my signature as well as give it the energy it required.

"Nora," he called again, closer than before.

Without losing the intent of why I cast the circle, I started to thank the elements and quarters, removing the representations of each as I worked backward to release them from the circle. All the while, I imagined the fire enclosing me dying as I released the corners, and the power of the circle coming back to me.