Chapter Eleven

"Nancy," I finally said, groaning. "You're choking me."

She squeezed me tighter.

"Seriously, I can't breathe!"

Nancy stepped back and was as tearful as me, making me feel better. Still, I was aware of Calin and that the minimal make-up I had applied would be painting my under-eyes like a raccoon. Given his last girlfriend, I didn't know if that was something that he was into, but I didn't care for the look. Obviously, Nancy hadn't noticed him. She kept her hands on my shoulders and smiled.

"You cut your hair!"

"How did you grow yours so quickly?"

She dropped her hand to finger the tips of a few strands of her honey-blonde hair and smiled. "The pixie cut didn't fit. Dad finally caved and let me get extensions so long as I didn't dye it anymore."

"Fair deal."

"I thought so, too." Nancy laughed. "I love your hair! I can't believe you let someone cut it though. And you're wearing contacts! Wow, your eyes really pop, just like your..."

"Mom?" I nodded and wiped my cheeks. "I know. Pretty crazy, huh?"

"Nah, she always said it would happen," Nancy said, and her smile turned wistful. Slowly, her gaze moved to my right and her eyes widened slightly. "Hey."

Calin chuckled. "Hi, I'm Calin."

Nancy turned to me and wiggled her thinly plucked eyebrows. "Uh huh."

"Oh, shut it, Nancy." I slapped her arm and she took the opportunity to pull me into a one-armed hug. "Don't mind her manners, Calin. This is Nancy. Nancy, this is Calin. Say hi."

"Hi!"

Before he could respond, she started pulling me back towards the front door. I looked over my shoulder and whispered an, "I'm sorry," to Calin, who shrugged as he slowly trailed us. Neither of us could say anything, though, because Nancy was already in chatter mode. I'd need a recorder to be able to playback what she'd already said in order to follow along.

"Oh, my God, Nora. I can't believe you are here. Mom and dad are so happy. I can't wait to catch you up on everything that's been going on around here at school and, of course, with Julian. We're still together, obviously, and he is home now. He is going to come over for supper so he can see you. Mom made a freaking feast, if you count dialing the caterer as cooking, but you know how that goes. Dad has a bunch of legal jibberish to talk to you about, but whatever. Before all that, you have to tell me what is going on! You lost your memory! You're practicing the Craft? How's that?"

"Okay, Nance? I love you but slow down. Okay? None of those questions have a quick answer."

She let me go so that we could file through the doorway single file, and I was grateful to feel Calin's hand on the small of my back, giving me the fortitude that I needed for Nancy's inquisition. Of course, as she turned to face me, Nancy saw his gesture, and she looked at me as if to say, "I knew it!"

At least someone seemed to understand what it meant.

I rolled my eyes and looked around the entryway. "Where's your parents?"

"Mom! Dad!" Nancy looked to the ceiling and screamed. "Nora's here!" She looked at me. "They're coming."

"Thanks for letting us drop in like this," Calin said, staying at my side. "I know it was last minute, but our friend was able to provide Nora with an alibi, so I wanted to bring her as soon as all that was figured out."

"Pchaw!" Nancy waved her hand through the air dismissively. "My parents would be happy if Nora lived here, so it's no biggie. They've met your mom and know how close she was with Vavila, so they're happy to have you over, too. We should be thanking you for making the trip for Nora. Obviously, a lot has happened, and the little devil man didn't keep his word. She was supposed to be safe moving in with him!"