Chapter Twenty-Four

A/N: In light of finishing my exam (woohoo!), I wanted to post an EXTREMELY early update :) Enjoy! Remember, if you are enjoying the story, please comment and vote. I love hearing what people think and it motivates me to post quickly.

Happy Holidays!

As soon as I woke the next morning, I replaced the shield so that I could have time to digest everything I'd discussed with Zachariah before he intruded on my dreams once again. After that was complete, I jumped in the shower and got ready for school, only perking up a little by the time I went down to the kitchen to meet Calin and Mrs. Renaldi for breakfast.

"If you ever have supper at the Manor again, I'm slipping sleeping pills into your dinner so that you finally have a good sleep," Mrs. Renaldi said as soon as she saw me. "You look like you managed an hour of shut-eye."

Calin, who was standing at the kitchen table, turned to face me, and I pressed my lips into a thin line as if to say, "Don't ask." Thankfully, he didn't, and I focused on Mrs. Renaldi, forcing a too-bright smile for her benefit.

"Onyx was hogging the bed." I shrugged. "I can't sleep when her fur clogs my airways."

"Hush. Don't blame that sweet little creature." Mrs. Renaldi laughed, and I shrugged, turning back to Calin with a real, although much more subdued, smile.

"Can we stop for coffee?"

"Of course!" Mrs. Renaldi answered for him, and we both looked at her. "I've made breakfast sandwiches for you since you are always in such a rush. Bacon, eggs, and cheese all on a nice little biscuit."

"That's perfect!"

"I know." She bobbed her head to an invisible tune and finished preparing the sandwiches on the counter. With a flourish, she put the tops on the biscuits and wrapped them in a paper towel before handing us each one. "There. Now I don't have to worry about you eating crumbs for breakfast."

"Toast isn't crumbs," I mumbled around a mouthful of food.

"Well, you need energy, so eat. I'm going to make extra so you can have some in the freezer to nuke on the weekends."

I rolled my eyes around another mouthful of food and mumbled goodbye as Calin and I exited the kitchen. We went out to my car, once again leaving Calin's behind, which meant we were picking up Maible. With how tired unbinding her made me, combined with the dream with Zach, I wasn't in the mood.

"Let's stop at Celestial Java first," I said as I buckled my seatbelt. I leaned back in my seat. "I want the biggest cup or... two." I nodded. "Can you run in so it's faster and grab me two coffees? With espresso shots?"

At least that way I could claim distraction when Maible peppered me with questions and I was too busy to answer because I was drinking my coffee before we reached Grimas.

*****

"I haven't been able to do anything," Maible complained, throwing the bun from her burger onto the tray as she began to eat the patty. "It's like my abilities are teasing me! First, I don't have them, then I do, and now I can't use them again! What the eff, guys?"

Calin glanced at me and raised his eyebrow, and I shrugged.

"You probably just need practice," I said.

"You think?" For as smart as she was, Maible hadn't figured out why her powers would work and then stop.

I nodded.

Surprisingly, Maible didn't mention anything about her powers until we were all seated at a lunch table. I was grateful for the morning reprieve, but that didn't mean I wanted to dissect it now. As the day dragged on, I became more exhausted, if that were possible. After eating the pickles from my burger, I pushed my tray away and leaned back in my chair.