Chapter Thirteen

"We'll have to be quick," I said to Calin over my shoulder as we entered the path off my backyard.

"Where are we going? Nora, it's dark."

"Don't worry." I laughed and kept hold of his hand as he followed me through the trees. "I know this place inside-out. Trust me."

The glow from the sensor lights in our backyard helped me to navigate the way. Once those dimmed as we traveled farther, the shine from the moon illuminated the ground, no longer covered by an umbrella of trees. Even so, the path was still worn from years of traipsing through it, and I knew each step.

"No wonder you like the clearing in Wickenton so much," Calin said as we entered the circle void of trees, but I didn't slow down.

"Yeah, for a long time, this was my little hideaway," I said, laughing.

It no longer scared me and instead left me with the memory of the day my mother and I had lounged in the grass after I discovered it had been reborn. I couldn't believe it had almost been five years since the fire that I thought had destroyed the clearing. Less than six months ago, it still terrified me. Now, I couldn't remember being afraid of the power I held, although I was apprehensive to figure out the extent of it.

"Come on," I said, still laughing as I pulled Calin out of the clearing towards the rocks beside the stream. "Check this out."

I climbed onto the flattened rock and wrapped my arms around me knees as I stared into the flowing water. Calin scaled the bolder and sat behind me, pulling my shoulders until my back rested against his chest. I sighed and let go of my knees to sprawl out comfortably, my feet hanging over the side.

"This is beautiful, Nora," Calin said, his voice nearly a whisper.

"Hmm." I nodded, feeling content. "I used to come out here to draw and stuff. I think it drove my mother a little crazy, to be honest. Either I'd come home covered in charcoal from sketching or dirt from the clearing. Then, when I tried using my abilities and started a fire, I stopped. Since then, I've learned it isn't something I should be afraid of. It's nice that I can come here and relax now."

"I'm glad you showed me."

"Yeah, well, don't let it go to your head. I figured you were useless cleaning, so I decided to distract you."

Calin chuckled, and I felt his chest vibrate.

"So, are you satisfied that you got to see me with Nancy?" I asked.

"Yeah, though you're different with her than I thought you'd be."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, in Wickenton, you are subdued and don't seem to let yourself have much fun aside from running, which, let's be honest. It's weird."

"Hey!" I sat up, turning to face him as I steadied myself with one hand and smacked him in the stomach with the other.

Calin laughed and reached up, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. "Here, you are more easygoing, which is nice. You don't talk about magic much, though."

I shook my head. "People in Briarville are different, Calin. Nancy doesn't even really have magic and her parents... Well, they followed my mother and know stuff, but they don't practice like in Wickenton. The people who belong to the magical community and live in Briarville respect that it isn't something you show off with. Heck, most of the community in Briarville has no clue magic even exists!

"My point is, even those that believe in the Craft don't practice magic often, if they even can. If I were to use my abilities here, I'd probably scare them. Besides, it should be done in private not public."