Chapter Seven

"You will let everyone believe that the Council stripped the Larkins of their abilities, Nora," Devland directed after a minute of silence. "As you can see from Mr. Corbin's reaction, people won't agree with you taking matters into your own hands. It also goes against everyone's belief in the magical system to know that a teenage girl is powerful enough to complete such a task on her own."

"You wouldn't have to worry about anyone bullying me." I shrugged, keeping my voice low.

"No, but that doesn't make it right."

"Is that all? I'm missing WC-1 right now, you know."

Devland laughed, the sound bursting out and then slowly fading. "You don't need that class. I'll excuse you so that you can return to art."

"Then people would think that I did something to deserve being excused."

"Like what happened on Friday?"

I didn't say anything. Devland had obviously come to his senses, though I couldn't tell if that made him happy or angry. I thought for sure I would be in for an earful after he had promised a discussion on Saturday. This... wasn't normal. I didn't know what to do with this side of him, though I couldn't help being wary given everything that had happened to lead up to it.

"Look, the High Council supports what was done. Nora—"

"I should never have been put in the position to do the High Council's job just because you wanted me to prove to the community that I had abilities," I said, looking up and narrowing my eyes at him.

He watched me, silent. After a minute, Devland took a breath and asked, "How did you know about your mother's house?"

"Seriously?"

He nodded.

"Does it matter? Fix it."

"I'm doing my best for you, Nora. I'm your father! Why do you have to challenge every decision that I make?"

"In order to be a parent, Devland, you would have had to be around. You can't just jump in and expect me to do your bidding, and you can't expect me to be compliant, especially when you are going against the deal you made to get me here in the first place. I'm almost eighteen!"

"That's still a minor."

"And? Do you think mom forced me to do things against my will? She tried to understand, at least. When she didn't, we talked. She didn't say jump and expect me to fly through the freaking air. If you wanted to command people, you should have joined the army."

"Until you are eighteen, I will do as I see fit."

It was pointless to try to speak sense with this man. I couldn't hold a conversation that went in circles or jumped around until logic was but an illusion. What was he thinking? I wished that Calin was here to soothe me. Perhaps with his touch in addition to my shield, I would be able to control the resentment Devland stirred.

Checking my phone, I cursed that there was still twenty minutes of class.

I wanted Calin.

"Now, about not calling on Friday," Devland said, and I tensed, feeling as though rigor mortis had set in. "I understand that what you did must have been exhausting. I'm happy that you were able to do it. That, however, does not excuse the fact that I didn't know where you were. You may not, under any circumstances, stay out all night and not call home. Did you leave town?"

"What?" My brow furrowed and I jerked my head to look at him. "I didn't leave Wickenton, Devland. Obviously. Otherwise, I wouldn't be here. Trust me when I say that if I had gone back to Briarville, you and I would not be having this conversation because you would have had to drag me back here in cuffs." Not that I wasn't already living in a prison. "Why would even think that?"