Chapter Sixteen

After many tears and multiple goodbyes, we left.

Calin called Maible from the car and apologized for hanging up, and she noted that Devland hadn't called to check on me. It was surprising, and I couldn't help but feel apprehensive for what we were heading back to. Had he not called because he knew we were gone? Had Astrid called to inform him we'd been in Briarville and what happened with my mother's estate?

We drove most of the return trip in silence, the promised discussion from this morning never finding traction. I couldn't tell if that meant that Calin didn't want to talk about it or if it meant that there was nothing to speak of. Obviously, if Nancy could see it, I wasn't imagining the way Calin and I felt towards each other. While it was... awesome, I didn't want to have to grab Calin and kiss him again. I just wanted to talk and discover what we were. Together? Not? It was so frustrating.

"Are you okay?" Calin finally asked as we entered Wickenton.

"Hmm?" I turned my head to look at him from watching out the passenger side window, trying to ignore the tingling that came over me from the sign. It was surprising to hear him speak after so long in silence. "Did you say something?"

"I asked if you are okay? You've been quiet the whole trip home, and I didn't want to interrupt whatever you were thinking about so intently."

"Oh." That's why it was so quiet? He'd been waiting for me to take the lead? I laughed. "I'm fine. Just... I wish we could have stayed longer."

"Yeah, they were good people, Nora. I would have understood if you didn't want to come back."

"No, no. I want to be here. I just wish I had more time."

"I get it," he said. "Next time, we won't play games to hide we are going so that we can stay longer. I like the Aldenburg's and Julian. They want to protect and help you."

I looked out the passenger window. Did he like them because they were good people—fun to be around? –or because they obviously wanted to help me? It was unclear, and I felt almost as though he was speaking in riddles. Ever since that kiss in the clearing, we'd been skirting the tension between us, and I wanted—needed—to clear the air. Then only question was how? When would be a good time to ask him?

We pulled up to Maible's and parked behind my car, and I realized that this definitely wasn't the time to bring it up. Perhaps at the beginning of the trip, it would have been good. Now, we had a couple of minutes at best before Maible was a part of the scene, and I didn't want to talk to Calin about us while she was there.

"Ready?" Calin asked, undoing his seatbelt and smirking at me. "You go in and I'll grab the bags."

I nodded. "Okay." Clearing my throat, I added, "Don't forget the bag from my mother's house, okay? I need it."

"Sure."

Getting out of the car, I rushed to Maible's front door. Just as I raised my hand to knock, she opened the door, looking exasperated.

"Nora!" she exclaimed and then reached out and grabbed me, pulling me into the house. "What took you so long? The dance is in like, four hours! You have to shower, dry your hair, get make-up on, get dressed! Oh, my God, I have no idea what you're going to wear! I forgot to tell you to bring something from the Manor."

Maible slapped her forehead and I laughed, pulling her hand down. "Chill out, Maible. I've got the dress and shoes covered. Now, all we need to worry about is a shower, hair, and make-up. That's good, right?"

"Really?" Maible looked up and narrowed her eyes, then smiled. "Oh, good. Good." She exhaled. "What about Briarville? Did you have fun? Was it a good surprise?"