Chapter Forty-Three

I woke from a dream of my mother to hushed voices and a kink in my neck. I kept my eyes closed as I tried to get my bearings. Inadvertently, I started eavesdropping on Calin and Islene. Once I realized what they were discussing, though, I couldn't stop.

"How did Nora do it, Mom? It was like you knew she could," Calin said softly as his fingers were still combing through my hair, grazing my cheek in the softest of whispers every few strokes.

"Nora is one of a kind, Calin," she whispered, and I couldn't tell where she was sitting—or standing—without opening my eyes and giving my pretense of sleep away. "She's special in ways that she doesn't even know. Just like Vavila was."

"But how—?"

"I can't explain it to you. Or her." Islene sighed. "Nora will know on her own soon enough."

"You need to tell us anything you know that can harm Nora, Mom."

"Nora is fine, Calin. She's just tired, but that will pass." Islene laughed. "I'm glad that you two found each other early on."

Found each other?

She sounded like Mrs. Renaldi had when she'd told me I didn't want to push Calin away. I had no idea what either of them meant, though I was curious as to why Calin wasn't saying anything. Did he know?

When no one said anything, I moved, stretching to work the kink out of my neck. Calin lifted his hand from my hair and I opened my eyes to see that he was watching me, a slight smile on his face.

"Good morning," he said.

I smiled. "Hi." I relaxed my body and turned my head to find Islene sitting on an ottoman in front of the couch, her elbows resting on her knees. "Hey. Did you talk to Maible's mother?"

She nodded, not looking away from me. "Yes."

"I... need to talk to Maible," I said and started to sit up. As I pushed against Calin's leg for balance, I heard him wince, and nearly fell back down again as I shifted.

He cupped my shoulder and helped me sit all the way up, then dropped his hand to my back where he began rubbing circles with his palm.

"I've already taken care of that," Islene said quietly. "She's talking to her mother right now, so she won't be able to speak to you for a while." She put her palms on her thighs and then stood, glancing at us and smiling softly. "I'm going to start supper. Are you staying here, Nora, or do you want Calin to drive you back to the Manor?"

Just the thought of going back to the Manor made my insides feel cold. I winced and looked at Islene. "Is it okay if I stay?"

"Of course." She nodded. "I'll go call Mrs. Renaldi and tell her you kids fell asleep watching a movie or something."

I laughed. "Make sure you start by saying you promise to chaperone in case Miss Rose is within earshot."

"Noted." Islene smiled again and left the library.

Calin leaned forward so that he could look at me. "Are you sure you're okay? You don't need anything?"

"I'm fine. Just wary about what it all means."

"Do you want to go to the clearing?"

I shook my head and sighed, then looked at him. "Can we watch a movie or something to take my mind off everything? I don't want to talk to Devland until I talk to Maible, and she obviously can't right now."

"Of course."

Calin stood and held out his hand to help me up.

I took it and we made our way out of the library to the living room where he let me pick out a show. Once the disc was in and Calin pressed play, we laid on the couch side by side with my back against his chest and his arm slung around my waist. Calmness settled over me and I felt my eyes closing once again, blissfully returning to sleep.