Chapter Thirty-Two

"Ready?"

"For...?" I stood straighter as Calin approached me and Maible in the parking lot, a smile lifting the corners of his lips in a way that made me want to forget about our pact to remain secret and kiss him.

"We're going to my house," he said, heading for the driver's side door as he unlocked the vehicle, and I silently watched him before following and getting into the passenger seat. "My mom is finally free to help figure out who bound Maible."

"I can't today," Maible said, climbing into the backseat. "I have to watch the kids. Can we go tomorrow?"

"I'm free." I shrugged and latched my seatbelt.

"Okay." Calin nodded and started to maneuver out of the parking lot. "I'll let her know that tomorrow works better."

We continued to chat as we drive Maible home, then drove to the Manor. The minute she was out of the car, Calin took my hand, and I felt the tingles he generated course through my body. A sense of calm washed over me, and I leaned my head back against the seat's headrest.

"It would be nice if we didn't have to hide, Nora," Calin said as he drove.

"Hmm. It would." I sat straight and looked at him. "You know, you act differently now."

"How so?"

"You used to put your hand on my back all the time," I said and looked out the passenger window. "Now, if we aren't alone, you don't."

"That's because I'm making an effort not to touch you."

"It makes it obvious."

"Did Maible say something?"

"Not yet."

"I'll do better."

I laughed and we turned into the driveway for the Manor. When we stopped, Calin got out and opened my door, then came into the Manor. We said a quick hello to Mrs. Renaldi, informing her that Calin would be staying for supper, then went to my room and called Nancy.

*****

The next day after school, Calin met me at the car before Maible arrived, sneaking up from behind and grabbing my sides.

"Hey!" I squealed and turned, his arms going around my waist until his hands clasped at the small of my back. I wrapped my arms around his neck and smiled, my voice lowering. "Hey."

"Hi." Calin smiled wider. "What did you do this afternoon while we slaved in class?"

"I went to Celestial Java."

"You're mean."

My mouth dropped as I gasped. "How so?"

"Bragging about not having to go to class."

"You asked!" I laughed and shook my head, sobering as I caught his gaze.

Calin leaned down, his lips grazing mine, and I leaned in to prolong the feeling.

"Uh, guys?"

Crap.

I stepped back, out of Calin's arms, and turned to Maible, pasting a smile on. "Hey! Maible!" I looked at Calin and back to her, clearing my throat. "Uh, so are you ready to go to Calin's?"

"Are you?" She raised an eyebrow and looked between me and Calin.

"Yes." He nodded and stepped towards the driver's side of my car.

I got into the passenger seat, whispering to him that we had to find something to distract her now for sure. We were laughing as Maible got into the backseat. This time, Calin didn't wait until she exited and grabbed my hand, twining our fingers as they rested over the console. I chanced one look into the back only to receive an I-told-you-so smirk in response. My face burned and I looked straight out the windshield, wishing we could have been more subtle, though I knew it was my fault for calling Calin out for being too obvious when he wouldn't touch me.