Chapter Twenty-Five

"Okay, seriously?" I asked as I exited my bedroom, pulling a sweater over my pajama t-shirt. "What was so important that you had to stalk my bedroom while I was in the tub?"

Devland turned from where he stood looking out the floor-to-ceiling windows in my sitting room, a scowl etched on his features. "Do you think that I am stupid, Nora?"

Trick question. Don't answer.

I kept my mouth closed.

"You know, I assumed that you went to Briarville but didn't know for sure," he said, clenching his jaw. "Then I received a phone call this evening from Astrid Bolder. She called to complain about the sale of land I had approved being retracted and said you were there to ambush the Open House that had been scheduled last Friday night. Do you care to explain?"

"Uh, not really?"

"Nora—"

"Noreena." I clenched my teeth and balled my fists. "You really would be stupid to think that finding a way to get around your blocking spell would be difficult for me, Devland."

"You went back on our deal."

"Oh, my God! Do you think before you speak? Seriously. I kept my end until I realized that you blocked my communications with Briarville." I sucked in a deep breath and exhaled. "Actually, no. Even when you admitted to keeping me from contacting Briarville, I kept my promise. I didn't break it until you tried selling my mother's property."

What made him think he could keep me under control when he couldn't even help when a child went missing? Devland was delusional. I crossed my arms, my fists balled so tight I felt the crescents of my fingernails digging into my palms. He couldn't beat my mother, and I would be sure he didn't beat me. All I had to do was learn the rules of his game, whatever that was.

"Do not overestimate your abilities, Nora."

"Then stop underestimating them."

"You are still a minor. Watch your attitude."

"If that makes you feel better, believe what you want," I said and slowly smiled. "I promise, I will only take so much more before I head back to Briarville, and no spell you cast will stop me from leaving. It's so close to my birthday, it probably doesn't matter, but I know I have cause for emancipation. My lawyer, who I met with in Briarville, confirmed as much."

Devland narrowed his gaze and stared at me, but I didn't flinch as I suppose he expected me to. Instead, I taunted, raising my eyebrow as if to ask, "Is that it?"

A tick began to flex in his jaw.

I bit my cheek to keep from laughing. Just as I thought I would fail to control it, Devland relaxed his stance and shook his head, leaving without saying another word.

This time when the door slammed, I didn't jump.

I waited for a few seconds to ensure that Devland was gone and then turned on my heel and headed back into my bedroom. I pulled my phone out of my bag and sat on my bed, pulling open the contacts and dialing the one person I knew I could talk to without worrying about rumors being spread.

"Hello?"

"Hey, are you free to chat for a bit?" I asked Calin.

"Sure. What's up?"

I rolled my eyes to the ceiling and sighed, leaning back against the pillows. "Oh, the usual. Devland."

Calin laughed, and I felt myself begin to relax.

I relayed my conversation with Devland, intentionally leaving out the part that creeped me out as he waited for me to get out of the tub.

Once I'd vented, Calin asked what I was planning to do for Christmas after finals and I didn't know what to say. The holiday had always been spent with my mother, and I hadn't even thought about it yet this year. I didn't want to. Rather, I'd prefer to skip it and wallow. Heck, even enduring WC-1 with Mrs. Hendrey was better.