Chapter Seventeen

Calin didn't drool as Maible had predicted, though I could feel his gaze continue to come back to me. My skin burned beneath the scrutiny to pool in my cheeks to keep a pink tinge. I was glad that Maible hadn't used any blush because it would have been overkill.

As soon as he arrived, he presented us both with wrist corsages, which I thought was sweet. Before I could say thank you, Maible ushered us out the door and we drove to Grimas High School in my car so neither of us would wrinkle in the backseat of Calin's vehicle. The parking lot was already filling forty-five minutes before the dance was set to begin, but we found a space in the front row.

Once Calin turned off the ignition, he got out and opened Maible's door, helping her down so that she wouldn't trip. I sat in the passenger seat, contemplating asking him to drive me back to the Manor since the first dance I'd attended hadn't gone so well. When Calin came to help me out and the thoughts dissipated.

"You look amazing, Nora," Calin said as he opened my door. His arm went around my waist as I stepped out, and he didn't remove it once I was balanced on the ground.

"You clean up pretty nice, too," I said, laughing as I looked at the pavement, my cheeks growing warmer.

Calin looked amazing, actually.

He'd slicked back his usually tousled hair, parting it off the center, and looked as though he'd taken the time to shave. His usual charisma held a presence in a tux. After a few quick glances, I knew that Maible had bet on the wrong person. If I stood too close, I would definitely be leaving drool marks on the lapel of his jacket.

"Come on, you guys," Maible said and started walking ahead of us. "As part of the committee, I should have been here like an hour ago."

I looked up and rolled my eyes at Calin, and he laughed as we began to trail her into the main door of the school. When we reached the steps leading down to the sunken building, Calin moved his hand from my waist to hold my hand as I lifted the skirt of my dress so I wouldn't trip. Once we were level, his arm went around my waist once more, keeping me close.

"So how long do we have to be here?" I whispered so only he could hear me.

"A few hours at least."

I winced. "This is going to be brutal."

"It won't be that bad."

"No?"

"We don't have to worry about any pranks this time. You have your memory. Duvessa wouldn't dare try anything with you."

"Yeah, okay. Fair points."

Calin laughed and opened the doors, letting Maible through and then guiding me, somehow remaining by my side. As we entered the main hall, I looked around, my breath catching as I caught and held Devland's glare. His eyes looked me up and down, and he pinched his lips into a thin line. His eyes turned hard, and I knew he had realized where I'd been.

I forced my gaze away from Devland and to Calin. "We've been busted."

"What do you mean?" he asked, leaning down so he could speak quietly.

"Devland." I darted my eyes to him and back. "He knows we left Wickenton."

"How can you tell?"

"Look at him. He's pissed."

"He might just hate high school dances."

"Or he realizes that the dress I'm wearing is the same one my mother wore to a dance with him before she left. The only way I could be wearing it is if we'd gone to get it."