Chapter Fifty-Three

Devland narrowed his eyes on Calin's hands, then looked at the tent and back to us.

"What am I doing?" he demanded, pointing between Calin and me. "What do you think you are doing? Do you think it's okay to spend the night camping with a boy?"

"It's no different than spending nights at his house." I shrugged, trying to seem indifferent even though his arrival infuriated me with the confirmation that he either followed us or had truly low jacked me somehow.

"You don't sleep in the same bed!" Devland exploded and took a step forward.

Onyx appeared between us, once again crouching as she growled, and Devland stopped.

"My mother knows where we are," Calin said, lifting his chin.

"I don't care," Devland said darkly. His eyes travelled from Calin to me. "You're coming back to the Manor, Nora."

Following Calin's lead, I raised my chin. "No."

"I mean it. You're grounded."

I laughed. "I don't think so."

"Excuse me?"

"Why don't you go worry about your other daughter?" I asked, shifting my weight so that I could lean back and feel Calin's chest. "She had a terrible day yesterday when she triggered her power."

"I am not talking about Maible, Nora," he said. "I am taking you home."

"No, you are not."

"Don't test me."

"Or what?"

"I'm the leader—"

"—of the High Council?" I rolled my eyes. "I don't care. You can't force me to come with you. I control me."

Devland took another step forward, glaring at me.

I felt a pull and involuntarily took a step towards him before realizing what was happening. Clenching my teeth, I placed my hands on my waist and imagined my feet encased in invisible cement, rooting me to my spot. The pull intensified, but I didn't move. Without the sleep that I'd gotten, there was no doubt in my mind that Devland was strong enough to already have me in his vehicle. I felt my strength diminishing.

A vein in Devland's forehead began to throb, and I could tell he was exerting effort.

Trying to appear cavalier, I smiled and Devland let out his breath in a whoosh.

Twisting at the waist, I grabbed Calin's hand, then faced Devland again. "I'm not going anywhere with you. It's creepy the way you track me all the time. Why don't you go home and give Aiden a call? He'll explain to you how little control you'll have over me moving forward."

"I'm not leaving without you."

"No?" I visualized the invisible cement holding me in place crumbling to the ground. "Then I will."

Tugging on Calin, I pulled him to the pathway in the clearing, knowing that we could return later for our belongings. My bag was beside the logs in front of the campfire, and I picked it up as we crossed the clearing to exit and slung it over my free shoulder.

When Devland didn't move, I imagined a transparent wall rise behind us, blocking his path from following us to the car. Calin didn't say anything, but he must have felt the draw of energy through our connection. His fingers squeezed mine, offering silent strength.

*****

We arrived back at Calin's before anyone woke and went to the library. After losing so much energy in the clearing against Devland, I felt the ache of missed sleep yet again, and pulled Calin to the couch so that we could lie down side-by-side. Given that Islene had set us up in separate rooms, I didn't want to disrespect her by going to his, but I couldn't bear not being with him.