Chapter Three

"Do you want me to come in with you?"

I stared at the house that would never be my home, feeling the hollowness it induced empty out my stomach like a cavern at the end of a very long, very dark tunnel. It was the same as being trapped knowing that you have no way out and no way to retrace your steps. This Manor—this prison—had no escape, though I was bound and determined to burrow my way through so that I could return to my once-normal life in Briarville. Or, at the very least, the people who had been a part of it.

"Nora?" Calin prompted again, turning in his seat to face me. "Do you want me to—?"

"No." I turned my head to look at him and forced a smile. "I am just going to go in and sleep until Monday morning. I'll be fine."

"And Devland?"

"Well, hopefully what I did yesterday is still keeping him busy. I'm sure he has a few questions to answer with the High Council."

"Yeah, like why his daughter had to do his job."

"For starters." I nodded, hoping we weren't indulging in wishful thinking.

"You're sure you're okay? You can still come to my house."

I laughed, feeling some of the emptiness within me fill with warmth like only Calin could produce, though he hadn't even had to touch me this time. The usual pull I felt for him returned and I turned my gaze away, unwilling to act on it. The tension of a few moments before returned. I looked to the steps leading into the grand entrance and sighed. Whatever was happening with Calin, I would deal with it later.

"No, I'm not sure, and if you ask me a few more times I might say yes," I said, keeping my gaze on the doorway. "But I have to go in there. I may be able to afford it, but my mom told me not to waste money, and I don't feel like shopping for a new wardrobe."

"That's..." Calin snorted. "It's a good reason, I guess."

"Yep."

Gathering my bag, I reached for the door handle and then leaned back, turning my head as I reached over the console so that I could kiss Calin on the cheek. I had to keep my hand from coming to my lips to see if the spark I felt rubbed off, but I smiled as I turned back and opened the door.

"Will you call me later so that I know everything is okay?" Calin leaned sideways before the door could close as I exited, extending his arm to keep it open.

I shrugged. "I'll call you after at least a twenty-four-hour nap. Before that, I hold no promises." I paused, then laughed. "I promise."

Without turning back, I heard the door close but knew that Calin wouldn't leave until I disappeared through the doors of the house. I took the stairs quickly, not wanting to make him wait. If I was tired, there was no doubt that Calin was, too, but my steps slowed as I reached the porch. Once, Devland had forced me to come here. Now, I knew it was a choice. I could run back to Calin and find a way to never return, or I could proceed and figure out everything that had turned my life upside-down.

I took a deep breath and regained purpose, reaching out to open the door.

It pushed me forward, across the threshold, and I didn't realize I was inside until the door slammed behind me. I jumped, turning mid-air, and then sighed. I couldn't see him, but I knew that Calin was leaving. Suddenly, I wished I had given him a real kiss goodbye, as now I felt alone. Who knew what mood Devland would be in if he was home? Perhaps it would have been my very last chance to say goodbye.

When nobody came running out to greet me, I sighed with relief and turned. I looked at the stairs, contemplating running to my room and hibernating with Onyx as I'd told Calin I would do, but I also couldn't forget about everything we'd discussed. Though I couldn't do anything to help Maible now, I could find a way to cloak her once I did. It took very little energy to find a book, though discovering the right one with a spell I could use may prove difficult. Every spell had more preparation than power, my mother had told me. This would be a part of the duties of using my abilities.