Chapter Twenty-Eight

Christmas came and went without mention at Dwyer Manor.

Apparently, Devland was as adamant about not celebrating as he was about not grieving. I was happy to continue to spend the days during the break from school with Calin and Onyx, occasionally calling Nancy to chat. Calin took my request regarding Christmas Day to heart and gave me space, though he showed up after supper and we called Nancy so that I could wish her family a happy holiday.

Despite my best efforts to sway him otherwise, Calin gifted me with a new sketchpad and artist's kit before he left that night. It was a perfect exchange, since I had anticipated his refusal to nix a gift exchange and painted him an abstract picture of fire in different colors.

It represented strength, which was exactly what Calin had given me since we met.

Maible went to her grandparents and wouldn't be back until the day before the new semester began, and Islene still wasn't free to help us figure out who had been responsible for binding Maible's magic. Since our plan was at a standstill until she could assist, we went for walks, hung out at the Manor or Celestial Java, and took Onyx to the clearing. She loved running around without the leash, but I felt like I was going to have a heart attack each time she skidded to a stop near the edge of the cliff. Eventually, I found the Latin phrase—or as close as I could determine—to command her to stay at least ten feet from the ledge.

By the time that Maible texted to say that she was back, I replied that I was having an early night and would see her in the morning, then called Calin to talk before going to sleep.

*****

After two weeks of being able to sleep in, getting up for school was like swimming through mud. My limbs were heavy, and my eyes didn't want to stay open. I slammed my hand on the snooze button three times before Onyx began to nudge against my cheek with her cold, wet nose. Trying to move her away caused her to try to snuggle closer, and soon her nose was resting against the sensitive skin behind my ear, making me giggle.

"Okay!" I laughed aloud and wiggled away from Onyx as I slid out of the bed on my stomach. "You're worse than a freaking rooster!"

Once I was out of the bed, Onyx huffed, resting her snout on her front legs. After a moment, she hid her face from the light under her paws and appeared to be asleep again. I rolled my eyes and went into the bathroom.

If only it were that easy.

I hopped into the shower and quickly dressed in jeans and a t-shirt with a wool cardigan to keep me warm inside school when I wasn't wearing my jacket. Since Christmas break had begun, we'd gotten the snow the weather forgot to release during fall. The temperatures had dropped below zero, and I felt like carting Onyx to class to serve as a portable, energy-saving heater for my toes.

Once my hair was dried, I dumped the old notebooks from my bag and grabbed new ones from the desk drawer, making sure that both mine and my mother's Books of Shadows were secure in the large pouch before zipping it closed. Once I was sure I had everything, I left, leaving the door ajar for Onyx to find her way to Mrs. Renaldi once she deemed fit to get up for the day. As I went down the stairs to the kitchen, I chastised myself for being jealous of a dog.

Maybe, instead of going straight to college, I would take a year off and live in my mother's house doing nothing every day.

That would be ideal after the year I'd had.

"Good morning!" Mrs. Renaldi smiled as I entered the kitchen.

Calin was seated at the kitchen table with a full breakfast already served. I put my bag on the floor and sat beside him. From the platter at the center of the small table, I grabbed a slice of toast and put eggs on top, then added some bacon before closing it with another piece of toast.