Chapter Fourteen

Back at Nancy's, we all spread out in the living room as we ate on paper plates, talking. I let Calin explain how the community in Wickenton worked and feigned ignorance as everyone asked about what had happened since I left, claiming that my lost memories skewed my perception of the events. Calin filled them in, and I was surprised at the way he'd perceived how things had occurred, which painted me in a much better light than I deserved.

More than once, Aiden asked if I wanted to stay rather than returning, promising that he could have me emancipated in less time than it took Devland to realize I was gone. I knew he was wrong, considering the fact that Devland probably already knew I left. If not for whatever spell he'd cast but because Aiden had managed to take away his power as the executor of my mother's estate. Each time Aiden offered, I declined without giving a reason why. Sure, I had to help Maible, but I could do that from Calin's or even a hotel room. More than that, which I wasn't ready to admit to the crowd, I had to discover what Devland was up to. Where was the missing boy and what was the room in the cellar used for?

I shared a glance with Calin and smirked, looking back to my empty plate.

At least someone knew what I wouldn't say and understood.

"Well, we're going to go to bed," Aubrey-Lynn said and stood. She went around the room, gathering the disposable dishes. "You guys don't stay up too late, okay? I'm making breakfast in the morning."

Nancy rolled her eyes. "Okay, Mom."

"I am!"

I laughed and Nancy smirked. We both knew that meant Aubrey-Lynn was going to wake up and demand that Aiden prepare food for them. She couldn't boil water without burning the pan.

Aubrey-Lynn passed the dishes to Aiden and stopped by the couch I was sharing with Calin and leaned down to hug me. "Good night, Nora. Remember, Calin has the guest bedroom and you're bunking with Nancy."

My face flamed and I refused to look at Calin. "Mm-hmm."

She laughed as she stood, then followed Aiden out of the room. Silence hung in the air. With no plate, I sat staring at my fingers as I wrung my hands. After a minute, Calin reached out and twined his hand with mine to keep me from fidgeting. Once again, I felt calm.

"Okay then," Nancy said too brightly. "How about we watch a movie?"

"Sure." Julian shrugged, and Calin agreed.

I eyed Nancy. "What kind of movie?"

"Aw, come on, Nora!" she whined. "It wasn't that bad!"

"Whatever." I shook my head and stood, dusting off my pants. "I'm going to the bathroom. Do not let her put on a movie about cheerleaders or dancing or singing or... yeah." I shook my head again and laughed, calling over my shoulder as I left the room, "Just find a Marvel movie or something."

"Nora!" Nancy whined.

"Three against one, Nance!" I yelled back, still laughing.

Feeling better than I had since we'd arrived, I quickly went to the washroom and washed my hands. As I opened the door and stepped out, I jumped in surprise, then laughed as Julian smiled down at me.

"You scared me," I said, clutching my chest. I looked down to the floor and up, dropping my hand. "Everything okay? Oh, don't tell me you guys caved about the movie."

"No, no. Nancy is letting Calin choose a movie."

I raised my eyebrow. "You know he was okay with letting me make him watch Meet Joe Black. That might not be a good solution."