Chapter Six

Meighan must have left the school after arguing with Duvessa because I had no luck. She wasn't in the quad, the library, or any of the girls' washrooms. I even checked her assigned classroom after running into Sarah, who used to be friends with them before arguing with Duvessa and literally being cursed with bad skin. I had fixed it, unbeknownst to Sarah, though I was sure that she would divulge Meighan's schedule without my having to resort to informing her of that fact. The argument between Meighan and Duvessa was new enough that nobody knew, so she was likely wanting to stick it to them.

I would if I'd been in her shoes.

Even if her information was accurate, Meighan wasn't in class, and I was out of ideas.

Giving up, I walked down the halls minutes before the bell rang, navigating my way back to Calin's classroom so that we could all go for lunch. A few teachers must have let their students leave early because already the hall was filling with bodies. Everyone continued to look at me as they went by, making me feel conspicuous, and not in a good way. The curiosity was worse than earlier, though at least I didn't get a sense of disapproval. Hatred, yeah, and maybe a little disappointment. I chalked that up to people who wanted to have seen what happened and missed it, or those who wished they could do stuff like I had.

Truthfully, it wasn't all that it was cracked up to be.

I leaned against the wall opposite Calin's classroom and crossed my arms as I placed the sole of my foot against the wall. Ignoring everyone glance at me as they passed by, I stared at the door, waiting. The tension in my body built as I concentrated on disregarding the other students. Even through the shield, I could feel them, and it was making me antsy. I clenched my teeth and curled my hands into fists so that I wouldn't lash out.

The bell rang.

I didn't uncoil until I saw Calin step out of the classroom. The moment he saw me, he strode over, placing his hand on my shoulder as if sensing I how strung-out I felt.

"Are you okay?"

I stood straight and shook my head, feeling only marginally better as our closeness made everyone that much more interested. "Let's just go and find Maible. I want to go out for lunch so that I don't feel like I am on display."

"Sounds good. Did you hear that fourth period was cancelled? The teachers have a last-minute meeting for the faculty, so we don't have to be back until fifth period."

"Huh." I could only imagine what that was about. "Let's just make sure we go somewhere that serves coffee."

Calin laughed but didn't reply.

We found Maible and left, taking my car to a small bistro closer to the edge of town that I didn't know was there. It was nondescript, and I didn't look at the sign to determine its name as we entered. We ordered sandwiches, fries, pop for Calin and Maible, and coffee for me. Once my drink was finished, Calin pushed his towards me, letting me finish. Best of all, we had a two-hour break from discussing anything related to magic. Maible, as eager as she had seemed, apparently sensed that the topic was taboo.

When we came back to school, we were overstuffed and sleepy, and I had to continue to remind myself that there was just one more class until the day would end. Not that I wanted to go back to Mrs. Hendrey's class and face the ramifications of what I had done on Friday, but I guessed it was as good a time as any. At least, the fact that I was tired and worn out would be to her benefit. I probably couldn't even call upon fire right now.

"You coming, Nora?" Calin asked as they started towards the towers.

I hung back, nodding in the opposite direction. "No, I need to stop at my locker first."