Chapter Forty-Six

After supper, I drove back to the Manor with Onyx, dreading walking through the door. I parked in front instead of the garage in case I needed a quick getaway and trudged up the front steps with Onyx dutifully at my side.

"Are you ready, girl?" I asked, rubbing between her ears before crossing the threshold.

The first thing I heard was Mrs. Renaldi humming in the kitchen. For a moment, it felt like a happy way to come home. Then I remembered that the Manor wasn't home and Devland and Miss Rose were its occupants. The fleeting swell of happiness dissipated, and I started toward the stairs, hoping to make it to my room without notice.

"You're home."

I sighed and closed my eyes, slowly counting to ten before opening them and turning around to face Devland. Crossing my arms, I raised my eyebrow and remained silent. Onyx crouched at my side, baring her teeth without growling as I silently cheered her on. The one thing Devland could never do was charm his way into Onyx's good graces. If it weren't for that, I'd probably still be as sure my name was Dwyer as the color of my eyes when I looked in the mirror. Of course, if that were the case, I'd have to look in the mirror to be sure since I wouldn't remember otherwise.

Devland's gaze flickered from Onyx to me. "I don't see a bag. Is this just a stop or are you staying the night?"

"Do you care?"

"Nora—"

"It was a serious question, Devland." I shifted my weight. "I mean, you left me with my mother for seventeen years and claimed to feel bad about it. Considering that you had a daughter here in Wickenton that you knew about and hid away so nobody would know, I doubt what you said is true. How could you bind your own child against their knowledge? Against their will? Maible did nothing to deserve that except respect her heritage. She thought something was wrong with her because of what you did."

"That wasn't my intention."

"Then what was? Because you pushed me to embrace my powers, remember?"

"I... It's complicated." He sighed. "Her mother met her father and wanted a family with him. I was trying to help."

"Seriously?" I scoffed. "Then why didn't she have an abortion or let you adopt Maible or something? Not that I condone it. Everything would have been easier if it was in the open from the start."

"I don't believe in abortion, Nora," Devland said, his voice a growl. "Not only is it not okay to take a life, once a life is created, it has a piece of its parents' spirits. Even if she wanted, I wouldn't have allowed Maible's mother to abort my child."

"Oh, my God!" I uncrossed my arms and balled my fists at my sides, my fingernails forming half-moon indents on my palms. "Don't you get it? This was never about you! It should have been only about Maible and what was good for her!"

"I didn't want her to get hurt knowing the truth!" Devland exploded.

"No, you didn't want to be caught." I sucked in a breath and held his gaze. "Did you cheat on my mother? Is that why she left you?"

"I—"

I raised my hand. "Actually, I know how to do math, and you did. Just tell me if that's why she left."

"No, your mother never knew about Maible."

Slowly, I nodded, knowing that wasn't the answer that I wanted to hear. It would have been easier if that was the reason that my mother had fled to Briarville. Then I wouldn't have to search to discover the real reason, which was bound to be worse. Just as Calin suspected and Zach had warned.