Chapter Nine

The rest of the week dragged on. I managed to miss fifth period every day, thanks to the excuses from Devland after Monday. Eventually, I knew I would have to return, but I was determined to wait until the dreaded testing that Mrs. Hendrey had said would happen at the end of term. Since she couldn't really teach me anything, I'd wait until then. It was only a couple weeks away and then I could be placed in another level during my final semester of high school.

First, I had to get through the dance that Maible wouldn't be quiet about tomorrow.

I walked to the parking lot from the running track, where I'd spent fifth period clearing my head. Calin had said that he had a surprise for me so that we could start the weekend on a good note for a change, but right now, all I wanted was a cold drink and a shower. After a week of early nights sleeping like the dead, I felt energized enough to go for a run. Now, I felt sated, though oddly rejuvenated. At the very least, I could call upon fire.

If I could spend the evening in books looking for a cloaking spell before having to help with decorations tomorrow before being stuck appearing at the dance, I may even have everything I need to help Maible. Energy, hopefully a cloaking spell, and a willing participant. At least Maible hadn't spent the entire week bugging me about when I'd be able to help her. That helped me regain some of my energy since I hadn't used it placating her.

Walking up the final set of stairs to the parking lot, I caught glimpse of Calin and Maible waiting beside my car, which we'd taken this morning so that there would be more room. I crept up from behind. Calin's eyes darted to me and I put my finger to my lips as I came up behind Maible. He looked back at Maible as I jumped forward, screaming hello as I poked her in the side.

"What the—Nora!" Maible jumped and spun around, swatting with her hand, but I had already moved away to stand behind Calin as I laughed.

"Ha! You should have seen your face!" I giggled and let Calin block Maible as she reached out to hit me again.

"You better be nice, or I won't help Calin with your surprise."

"Hey! That's a favor for me, not her!" Calin stepped to the side, keeping me away from Maible, but laughed. "And don't ruin it."

"Whatever." Maible rolled her eyes and then glared at me. "You are not getting your surprise until you get a shower, Nora. Did you run all afternoon?"

I shrugged. "Half of it."

"Okay, okay." Calin held up his hands as though he was playing mediator. "Let's drop Nora off so she can have a shower and I will grab my car to take Maible home. After you are ready, Nora, drive to Maible's and I will meet you there so that we can give you your surprise. Agreed?"

Maible nodded and I shrugged.

"Good. Now, get in." Calin gestured to the car and stomped away.

I looked at Maible and we both grinned. Obviously, Calin hadn't much experience with girls if he thought we needed him to play peacekeeper. If Maible wasn't right about my needing a shower, I'd be willing to play it out longer just to see him uncomfortable for a while. It was fun.

"Come on," Maible said, and started to follow Calin. "I promise that you don't want to lag behind once you find out what the surprise is."

"Can you tell me now?"

"Nope," she said, popping the p.

I got in the car and turned to Calin, who started navigating his way out of the parking lot as soon as our doors shut. "What is going on, Calin?"

He grinned, looked at me and back to the road, but stayed quiet.

Maible laughed from the backseat. "Okay, Nora. You are not learning anything until you go home, shower, and come to my place. You'll need to tell Devland that you're staying at my house tonight. Think you could pack a bag with overnight clothes and stuff?"