Chapter Thirty-Six

The rest of the week passed quickly. Islene still hadn't reached out to say where she'd gotten with the list Maible had provided her with, or if she even had. I tried to keep busy and not think about it. At least Calin's plan seemed to have worked, and Maible had taken to worrying about who she was being set up with more than not being able to use her newfound abilities.

On Friday after school, Calin dropped us off at the Manor to get ready and then went home for a couple of hours. Maible had wrangled time off having to babysit so that she could stay the night. I feared that if the date didn't turn out happy, I would have a short sleep ahead, though Maible had to leave first thing in the morning to help her mom.

Seven o'clock arrived and the doorbell rang, causing Maible to jump in the chair she sat on in front of my vanity.

"Oh, my God!" she exclaimed as her eyes widened. "I am not done!"

I laughed and leaned down to use the mirror to apply lip gloss with my fingertip. I smacked my lips and stood, looking down. "Relax. Remember, waiting while we get ready was part of Calin's punishment."

"Yeah, but Devland isn't even here," Maible said and started to complete her left eye make-up to match the right.

"So? Miss Rose is, and she's just as scary."

"Whatever." Maible rolled her eyes and started to apply mascara. She leaned forward, her mouth opening as her eyes widened. "She isn't that bad." She blinked repeatedly and then touched her finger to the corner to gather the black glob that was created. "Miss Rose is just ornery. She reminds me of my grandma."

"Ha! Just in this moment, that makes me glad I never met either of mine."

Maible pushed back her chair and stood, turning slightly as she raised her arms at her sides. "How do I look?"

"Like you're going on a date?"

"Be serious, Nora." She dropped her arms.

I shrugged. "What? That's what you look like."

"Do I look good?"

"I thought that was implied with what I said. People dress up to look good on dates, especially first ones," I said.

"You look good and don't look like you're dressed up," Maible said.

"Okay. Then you look good, Maible."

"Really?"

"Oh, my God, do not ask me again or I will change my mind." Grabbing my purse, I pulled the strap over my head so that it crossed my chest and the bag rested on my hip. "Let's go before they leave."

"I thought you wanted to make them wait?" Maible followed me out of the dressing room and we made our way to exit my suite.

"There's waiting and then there's cruelty," I said over my shoulder. "Let's save them before we become a part of some sort of documentary about teenage abuse."

Maible laughed with me as we descended the stairs. We stopped at the bottom, not seeing anyone waiting. I nodded my head to the dining room after pausing to listen and hearing whispers. We went into the kitchen to find Mrs. Renaldi talking with Calin and his friend while Miss Rose stood in the corner of the room, appraising everyone with obvious disapproval.

"Hey," I said in greeting and smiled when Calin turned to face me. I nodded to the boy at his side and asked, "Who's your friend?"

"This is Brant Carlyle," Calin motioned to his side and then came to me, wrapping his arm around my shoulder as I fit perfectly against his side. He looked at Maible. "You know him, right?"