Chapter Eighteen

Devland moved away from the doors leading to the gym and strode down the hallway to stop directly in front of me. I raised my chin as he narrowed his eyes, a tick convulsing in his jaw.

"How did you do it?"

"What?" I asked, tilting my head slightly.

"How'd you manage to get Aiden to become the executor of your mother's estate?"

"Oh, that." I laughed.

"Yes, that. We talked about this already," he said. "I told you that your mother's home was being sold. It is for the best that—"

I raised my hand to stop him. "No, it wasn't for the best, Devland. I told you that you had no right to undermine our deal, remember? You didn't think that I was going to let you sell my home, did you?"

The few students in the hallway stopped and didn't bother to hide the fact that they were staring at us, but I didn't look away from Devland. I couldn't show him any weakness.

"You had no right to try to take my mother's home from me, Devland," I said, clenching my teeth.

"How did you get Aiden to do it?"

"Uh, by telling him I had a problem and asking if he could fix it?" I blinked. "That's what family does."

Devland shifted his weight. "You went there."

I smiled. "Perhaps."

"You're wearing your mother's dress."

"Hmm." I looked down and fingered the material of the skirt. "I am."

"You went to Briarville to stop the sale, talked with Aiden, and brought your mother's dress back with you so I'd know you'd gone."

"Actually, I don't care if you know I went or not," I said. "I'm wearing my mother's dress because I've always loved it. It has nothing to do with you."

"Well, I see that you don't care about what I have to say, but I am still your guardian. Go get your things. It's time to leave. You're grounded."

I laughed again, louder this time. "No, I don't think so."

"Nora—"

"I will come back to the Manor after the dance, Devland," I said. "You can't prove that I went to Briarville, so you have no reason to ground me. Even if you did, speaking with Aiden taught me more than you wanted me to learn, I'm sure. I know I have options now. The only reason I haven't packed my things and moved out is because I made a promise to stay until I turned eighteen, and I don't break promises unless I don't have a choice. Don't make me have no choice, Devland."

Sidestepping, I walked back to the gym doors with my head held high, ignoring the students who watched me go. At least there'd been no screaming, and no one had used magic. I didn't know if any of the students in the hallway weren't a part of the magical community, but it was better that we hadn't had to find out.

As soon as I entered the gym, Calin was at my side, and I remembered that I'd wanted time to come up with a plausible explanation for what had occurred on the dance floor. Too late, I couldn't bail on him twice.

"Are you okay?" he asked, sliding his arm around my waist, and I sighed, thankful I hadn't completely scared him off.

"I just spoke with Devland."

"What? And no fireworks?"

"Not tonight." I shook my head and looked around. "Have you seen Maible? I want to leave."

"No, but you stay here," Calin said, removing his arm. "I'll go find her."

I nodded and looked around, finding an empty seat at a table close to the door. As everyone danced and spoke in high volumes to be heard over the music, I sat down. For once, it would be nice to be a part of the happy crowd. I'd have one last chance for that until high school was over, and I hoped that prom would outweigh the negative memories I was accumulating.