Chapter Four

True to my word, I texted Calin twenty-four-hours after he dropped me off. It was exact, almost to the minute, as I jolted awake as though an internal clock was telling me it was time. He must have been waiting for my contact because he responded right away.

CALIN: Are you okay?

ME: Fine. Still tired.

CALIN: U sure? Can come to my house.

I smiled and suppressed a laugh. Sooner or later, I would surprise him and say yes.

ME: Lol! I'm fine. Having a bath and going back to bed.

CALIN: It's morning!

ME: Black-out curtains :)

CALIN: Devland was ok?

What was I supposed to say? That Devland had put off 'talking' to me until this evening but that I planned on sleeping through it? If I did, there was no way that Calin wouldn't show up for dinner.

ME: Nothing I can't deal with. Don't worry. You'll get wrinkles.

CALIN: Not possible.

ME: Ha! I'm turning my phone off. Don't forget to pick me up in the morning.

CALIN: Wouldn't dream of it.

ME: Good. My car is at school.

CALIN: I'll come early for breakfast.

ME: Ok! Night.

CALIN: Sweet dreams.

Wanting to leave our conversation on a good note, I turned off my phone and put it on the charger. That way, when I decided to finally answer Maible's incessant text messages, the phone wouldn't be dead, but I wouldn't have to hear them as they arrived. I stood and stretched, then made sure that my bedside alarm was set in case I didn't wake again before morning. Somehow, I was more tired after getting sleep than I had been before I had found my bed. Knowing how long I slept the first time, though, I needed to make sure that I was prepared if I slept that long again.

The way I felt, I couldn't imagine being ready for school.

After a quick bath, I changed into clean pajamas and crawled back into bed, closing my eyes as I pulled the comforter to my chin.

*****

A few hours later, I heard Devland calling my name. Rather than responding, I rolled over to my side and hugged Onyx. Keeping my eyes closed, I heard my name being called one more time, then succumbed to sleep once more. I was still so tired. Not even a dream invaded my slumber.

*****

Monday morning arrived too soon.

I slammed my hand down on my alarm clock, hitting the snooze button and pulling back, accidentally causing the device to fall to the floor. Blinking, I rolled to lean over the side of the bed, thankful that it hadn't broken. I laid on my back and rested my forearm across my eyes, mentally giving myself a pep talk to get up. It had been nearly forty-eight hours since I'd first come back to the Manor—at least forty-four of those spent asleep.

How could I still be tired?

My stomach growled and I suddenly felt an ache in my abdomen, reminding me that I hadn't eaten since I'd begun my self-imposed exile in my bedroom. With a groan, I sat up and slowly moved my legs to hang over the side of the bed. Just do it. Get up, walk to the bathroom, and turn on the shower. It'll wake you up, clear your head.

As I stood, my joints cracked. The soles of my feet were tender as I crossed the room to the bathroom as though I'd run a marathon the day before, pushing myself miles past my body's limit. Before I could change my mind, I discarded my clothes and jumped in the shower, turning the water to lukewarm so that I neither soothed nor shocked my body.