Chapter Thirty-Seven

"Uh, we can come back," Brant said.

I broke away from Calin and sucked in a deep breath, the heat that had been coursing through my body from his touch flaming my cheeks. The cool mist from the waterfall was a relief against my hot skin. I ducked my head, hiding it between Calin's shoulder and neck as he laughed, hugging me with one arm around my waist and the other under the jacket on my back.

"We're good," Calin said, laughing. He leaned his head down, resting his chin on his chest as he looked at me.

The smile he wore was pure appeal.

If Brant and Maible weren't watching, I'd grab him and kiss him again.

Now that I knew how being this close to him felt, I couldn't imagine not being with him. How had it taken me so long to realize that? Why had I allowed Duvessa to intimidate me away from him?

"I'm... ready to go," I said quietly, and my cheeks still felt warm. I started to move, shifting off Calin, and he slowly released his hold so that I wouldn't fall on my butt from the sudden lack of support.

Standing, I straightened the hem of my shirt, clearing my throat as I raised my chin. Finally, I looked at Maible and Brant, but neither met my gaze. I pulled the jacket closed around me and leaned back against Calin once he stood behind me. His arms went around me, hugging my waist from behind.

"Want to stop for hot chocolate?" Brant asked, raising his eyebrows. "My treat."

Calin laughed. "Nora only does coffee."

"Um, excuse me?" I tilted my head back and turned my head to look at him. "I like chocolate."

He grinned and looked down at me, then kissed the tip of my nose before looking at Brant. "Are you thinking Celestial Java?"

Brant nodded.

"That sounds good," Maible said.

We walked back to the car behind Maible and Brant. Calin kept tickling my sides so that I would dance away, then return to him. Everyone was happy as we went to Celestial Java, though Calin bragged the whole time we were there because I did in fact order coffee. In my defense, it was French Vanilla. As they found a table, I stood at the counter and chatted with Luna for a few minutes, letting her know that I had finally met with Zach again, though he was even more confusing than before.

When we finally left, Calin drove us back to the Manor and Brant walked Maible to the front door as we waited in the car to give them privacy.

"Aw, look!" I exclaimed and tapped Calin on his thigh as I watched them walk to the front door. "They're holding hands!"

Calin grabbed my hand and twined our fingers together. "It's rude to watch."

"Why? Maible is just going to tell me later anyway."

"Do you tell her about us?"

I closed my mouth before I could respond, pressing my lips together as I thought about it. Finally, I said, "No, but that's different. I didn't want to rub her nose in it or make her feel like a third wheel."

"And now she isn't."

"True."

"So, are you going to tell her now?"

"What? No!" I shook my head and looked out the front windshield. "I'm not comfortable with that."

"But she can tell you?"

I nodded and smiled wide. "Yep. It's completely different."

"What if she doesn't want to talk?"