Chapter Twenty-Two

I wasn't going to update again until after my exam on Monday, but Unbound (book 1) just reached 50k reads. To celebrate, I wanted to share another chapter :)

Warmth enveloped me.

I snuggled in as I tried to pull the blankets up to my chin, but they wouldn't move. They were too hard. I tugged again with no success. When I reached down to grasp a firmer hold, the warmth around me moved, holding my arm in place as though it had somehow manifested its own hand.

"Oh, my God!" I jerked awake and blinked as the warmth kept me from tumbling to the ground.

"You're okay," Calin whispered, keeping his arms around me so that I was cradled in his lap. "You fainted."

"Ugh." I felt my body relax, the tension seeping from my limbs as the realization of where I was settled into my mind. "I need to sleep."

"But are you okay?" He studied me.

I looked up and met his gaze, seeing the concern marked within his scrutiny. I wiped my hair off my face and then brought my hand down, settling my elbow on my hips and clutching the fabric of Calin's shirt in my fist.

Of course, he was concerned.

I passed out.

Why did I...?

I sucked in a breath. "Where's Maible?"

Calin smiled and I saw relief flood through him. "She's fine, don't worry."

"Did it work? Did I finish?" I groaned and glanced at the campfire, which was now blackened ash. "I only had a little left, but it was exhausting. I tried to push through. Did I manage to complete it before I passed out?"

"I think so." Calin nodded and then looked up, and I followed his gaze.

Maible sat as though she'd fallen to her knees from where she'd been standing, a grim look setting her mouth into a straight line as she stared at her hands. I looked at Calin and he shrugged.

Slowly, I eased out of his hold, nearly falling onto my backside in the dirt.

I crawled away on my hands and knees until I was far enough from Calin to stand without accidentally hitting him, a little wobbly on my feet.

"Maible?" I called as I walked over to her. Reaching her, I bent down and waved my hand in her face to get her attention. "Hey! Woo-hoo! Maible?"

Slowly, Maible looked up, tears in her eyes. "I don't feel any different, Nora."

"But..." I glanced at Calin and back. "The binds have been there for a while, Maible. Remember what we're taught about triggering our abilities? Perhaps you haven't done that yet. It doesn't mean you don't have them now."

"How do I do that?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. Is there anything in particular you feel like trying to do?"

"I don't know," she mumbled. "I never let myself think about it before."

"Try now."

Standing, I walked back to Calin to give her space to figure it out on her own. Slowly, I sat in the space next to him, feeling every joint in my body protest. We watched Maible as she appeared to contemplate what I suggested.

"Are you sure you're feeling okay?" Calin finally asked.

I turned my head to him and smiled. "Yeah. Just tired."

"You didn't lose enough energy to lose your memories again, did you?"

"Did I scream when I woke up to some strange guy holding me?"