Rue bennett- "Ready for another year..."

Description: walking to school with Rue to school for the start of another school year.
Warnings: Swearing
*******************************************
I made the short walk from my house to the BennetT house hold. Rue and I had grown up on the same street, the two of us become friends when we started school as well as Lexi but over the years the three of us had grown apart. I become friends with Cassie, Maddie and Kat, Lexi kept her head down and focused on her grades and Rue started using drugs and distancing herself from us.

The summer that had just passed Rue had overdosed. I remember that day so clearly, it was around two in the afternoon I was returning from spending the night at Cassie's when I spotted an ambulance in front of Rue's house. Like the rest of the neighbours I stood out the watching what was happening. After a couple of minutes two paramedics came out the house with Rue and put her into the ambulance. From what I heard her mom sent her to rehab and she'd recently returned. I spotted her at McKay party the other night but I didn't say anything to her.

Today was the first day back at school and I had decided to head over and ask if Rue wanted to walk with me. I reached the door and knocked, it didn't take long for Mrs Bennett to open the door.
"Y/n" she greeted me with surprise in her voice.
"Hey Mrs Bennett" I smiled at her. "I was wondering whether Rue wanted walk to school together?"
"Sure she would" she replied before turning round and yelling for Rue. It took Rue a few minutes to appear at the side of Mrs Bennett.
"Y/n?" She looked me up and down.
"I was wondering if you wanted to walk to school together" she didn't say anything, she looked from me to her mom, who seemed to nod her head in encouragement.
"Sure. I've just got to grab my shit" she turned away. A silence fell as we waited for Rue to grab her things. It didn't take her long, she walked past her mom.
"See you later" was all she said as she made her way past her mom.
"See you Mrs Bennett" I smiled following Rue.
"It was good to see you again y/n"

The first minute of walk was in silence before I decided to break it.
"So Rue, ready for another year of awkward conversation and unmet familiar expectations" Rue looked at me with a smile and laugh.
"No, but I brought tequila, so I will be soon" she patted her bag.
"Really?" I questioned, again Rue laughed.
"I'm fucking with you" I let out a laugh as well as we carried on walking. "You always were easy to gullible" I thought back to the old memories of Lexi, Rue and I.
"I guess" I laughed looking at the floor. "You know Rue this summer-" before I could finish Rue cut me off.
"Y/n don't. I'm fed up of people talking about last summer" was all she said.
"Okay, I won't bring it up again" again silence fell which I again broke. "So for real are you excited for the new school year?" She just shrugged. "So what makes you excited for He new school year?"
"I didn't say I was excited" she looked over at me.
"But you didn't say you weren't" she let out a sigh.
"There's a new girl, Jules she seems cool" I nodded.
"Maybe you could introduce me to her" I said, Rue looked over at me squinting her eyes.
"Why?"
"You said she's cool so I want to meet her" I replied.
"Aren't you friends with Maddie, Cassie and them lot" I bite the inside of my lip.
"Just because I'm friends with them doesn't me I can't be friends with other people. Including you" again a silence fell over the pair of us.

We finally reached the school, I stood staring up at the building.
"So can I meet this Jules?" I asked as Rue started to walk away.
"Sure" she rolled her eyes as I followed her. I hope this was a start to fixing mine and Rues friendship.

****
Let me know what you think
Request are open
Feel free to message me
X