Chapter One

EARTH
2017
ALTERNATE UNIVERSE

"I was just an only child of the universe, and then I found you."
━━━━━━━━━━

    She couldn't decide whether or not to squish the butterfly that had gently landed in her hand.

Micheal had always ordered her to destroy anything that had threatened the angels. Anything at all. But as Mali watched the grey butterfly, one which happily sat in her hand and reflected the colours of their destroyed world, she questioned whether or not the small insect could bring her harm. It was most likely one of the last of its kind.

     She understood how it felt, weightless wings which were loyal and powerful, the loneliness which came with being a unique breed, something which evolved and changed from ugly to beautiful as she realised her true power. But her fathers words still tainted her.

  Any creature with a cause will bring us harm. He had whispered in her ear. It only takes one flawed soul to create a genocide, and when that happens, you wipe out them all.

So without further thought, the grey butterfly fell downwards from her hand towards the red ash and dust. It would never fly again.

    The young girl felt nothing, no remorse or regret. She had taken so many lives that an insignificant bug meant nothing to her, everyone of them was guilty, monsters and humans alike. For the fates had told her so.

   As much as she knew everything was guilty, deep down she understood she was exterminating a species she belonged too, Mali didn't regret that she'd saved the world in her fathers name. Anything he'd told her to do, she prided herself in completing. Had they not defeated Lucifer the whole world would've burned, those were were left owed their life to her.

  While thinking, Mali's head grew nauseous - sharp stinging caused her to scream out as both of her hands were brought to her skull. As much as she could, she resisted to urge to scream or show any form of weakness. She didn't understand where the high-pitched ringing was coming from, but it sent blood running down her ears as she fought falling to her knees.

   Pushing off with her wings from the ground to escape it, she forced herself as high into the air as she could, the impact on the ground creating a large crater in the ash she once stood. Without looking, she knew exactly where to go, she was drawn to it, every particle of her body forcing her near as much as her body resisted.

   When she arrived down on the ground, the sheer force of her landing pushed her to her knees as the sand around her collapsed. Gaining her balance, she made her way swiftly to the energy which was calling her name, her legs taking her step by step through the ash, closer she crept.

   And when she saw it, the air disappeared from her lungs as her pupils widened. She didn't understand it, for it stood tall, larger than her. The golden sparks of energy reflecting against her face as she moved towards it, she could sense the archangel  grace which soared through the portal, the source of its power. Yet this, this was stronger than even an archangels doing.

   Tilting her head, she couldn't help but almost chuckle at it, placing her hand to the anomaly, it's  golden streaks danced around her hand as she pulled it back to her body, amazed at how familiar and warm it felt. How safe it felt.

    Mali forced herself back from the rift, realising that there should've been other angels here, they knew everything, they saw everything, so why hadn't they appeared like she did. Why did they hide from this like they hid from her?