Chapter Twenty-Four

"As a child you would wait, And watch from far away.
But you always knew that you'd be the one, That work while they all play"
━━━━━ ◦ ✩ ◦ ━━━━━

Mali kept running, one foot in front of another into the darkness as the water splashed beneath her feet.
"Sam!" She continued to scream, but when she didn't hear a reply from him, the girls heart began to crack and shatter.

She slowed her pace, and eventually the water in which the girl was running gradually drained into dark blood. An inaudible scream was let out as the girl collapsed onto the damp ground beside what was left of her friend. His eyes still holding the pain from his last moments alive.

Mali brought her head to his chest as she held onto him and cried. She'd never really cried before, not like this - and the pain which circulated around her body couldn't be described by words. If this was what it felt like to be human, to feel. Then she didn't want it. She didn't want to pain that came along with feeling alive.

"Come on Sam," she cried through her blurry vision. "Get up, we need you."

He didn't respond.

"Wake up Sam!" She shouted as she shook his body, her pain slowly began to fuel into anger, and her tears stopped as she clenched her jaw tight. She was powerful, but she couldn't bring back the dead. The girl lightly proud her hand down to her wound, where her scar covered her stomach, she was still healing and too weak. She couldn't save him.

Especially when the dead soul didn't belong in her heaven. Wherever Sam Winchester was, he was stuck between two worlds, just like the angels who tried to enter a dying heaven and weren't strong enough.

Forever stuck.

The girl could hear the monsters of the night around her, lurking in the darkness. Ready for their next meal. In another scream, the girl with golden eyes sent all of them flying backwards away from them. They didn't try to disturb her again.

"No..." Mali could hear behind her, and as she wiped her eyes she turned around to see Castiel breathing heavily, his shoulders low. "You have to bring him back," Mali pleaded, but she knew deep down he couldn't. He too, was too weak.

"Dammit Castiel bring him back!" The girl screamed in anger as she got to her feet. Castiel instinctively took a step back as the girl approached him, nothing more than a set of glowing golden eyes in the darkness. Her voice was low and threatening.

"Only an archangel can bring him back now Mali, I'm sorry."

Castiel moved towards the troubled girl as he went to put an arm around her, but she protested - shaking her head as she moved away. Mali wasn't going to give up, not like this.

"This is all my fault," she struggled to say. "All of it."

Mali didn't even want to consider it, but it was her only choice. The others would never be safe with her around, the humans called her The Maligant for a reason, because no matter where she went she was cursed with bring pain, suffering and death.

Even when she tried to be good.

"An archangel," Mali repeated. "Gabriels no good but..."

"No Mali," Castiel tried, he could see her working out a plan on her face and he wouldn't let her do it. She'd come so far, she was practically a part of the family now and she was willing to throw it all away for Sam, her freedom and her choice.