Chapter Twenty

2017
EARTH
WINCHESTER UNIVERSE

"So are you gonna die today or make it out alive?you gotta conquer the monster in your head and then you'll fly."
━━━━━ ◦ ✩ ◦ ━━━━━

   Sam Winchester was happy that they'd finally got a win. It was sheer luck that the brothers had managed to come by Gabriel while out on a hunt with Jo, and by helping him kill Loki he had offered to return his promise. Did he feel like he was running a Bed and breakfast in the bunker now? Yes. With the casual run ins with dead friends from other worlds, to Castiel coming and going, to the archangel Gabriel settling in, to an arch-nephilim from another world completely disappearing.

And when they found finding Gabriel, Dean asked about the girl and if he knew anything but angel kept his mouth shut. Sam secretly worried for Mali, she seemed so unstable and out of control of her powers. She'd been so quiet around them all and refused to go near Jo, probably because she realised it was smart to avoid her.

But then the girl just vanished.

Sam couldn't possibly understand how she felt, the girl went from feeling nothing to experiencing every emotion at once as she actually tapped into her human side. He could understand the regret she might have felt, for she remembered every feeling of joy from causing pain to others. When Sam lost his soul everything was blank, he would never want to know how he treated those around him.

"Hey, how you feeling Sam?" Jo asked as she walked with a bowl of cereal. She sat down directly across from him as he lightly smiled back at her. He could tell things between her and Dean were strange, there was an obvious attraction between them both and she was so similar to the Jo they used to know.

But Sam knew his brother too well, and he saw the guilt in Deans eyes anytime he even glanced at Jo. He was harsh and cold, he refused to open up to anyone. But with Gabriel now going to help them he had been much more relaxed. He only hoped that his brother would stop excluding himself and keeping himself locked away.

"I just want this over and done with," Sam sighed, "Dean and I, we're both tired and have been doing this for so long now." The Hunter explained as he began eating his salad. Jo remained silent as she thought about his words. She thought her life in the other world was bad, the only reason this world was still going was because every single time there was a threat, Sam and Dean ended it.

Meanwhile, in the opposite end of the bunker garage had spent half the night before preparing to go back to the apocalypse world. It was time they got their mom back. The oldest brother felt guilty for how he'd been towards Sam but it was for his own safety. He'd been brought up to keep Sammy safe and keeping him out of as much danger as possible was the best way to do it.

Packing their bags full of guns and other necessities while walking around the garage, Dean had spent hours trying to grind down whatever angel blades the hunters had collected over the years into bullets like Jo used. Multiple times now she had offered to help but he shut her down. He couldn't, he couldn't let himself open up to her when he didn't know how long she was going to stick around for. And when she either left or died he wouldn't be as upset that he lost her again If he never got attached in the first place.

"Dammit!" Dean shouts as he slams his hands against the table, did the world suddenly develop a sense of humour? The one woman Dean felt the guiltiest about loosing just happens to drop through a portal into their world. What the hell?

Dean could feel the floor begin to shake beneath him as once again the bunker lights shut down into their sinister red. But the hunter barely had time to think as a rift opened in front of him, sending him flying from his feet into the solid wall. bones cracked as he watched the weak rift splutter open from his side. He was too old for this crap.