18✖️The Truth Is Out

"She dropped a key."

{A/N This chapter may be upsetting to some.}

Taehyung removed himself from his uncomfortable chair, leading his body to the rustic golden key; laying on the floor lifelessly. I analysed him as he crouched down to handle the item- hoping it was a key to the door. However, as if he just read my mind, Taehyung spoke up an intelligent point that was most likely true- but extremely disappointing.

"Surely it's not a key to the door because she just locked it."

He then moved himself to the ancient door, attempting to fit the key into the lock.

"It doesn't even fit. It's got to open something though."

I hummed in agreement, scanning the room for any locked storage space. It was a waste of my time to be honest. The only furniture in the room was the wardrobe containing the whips, a desk and three chairs.

"Maybe it's the key to the whip cupboard." I suggested with a slightly bored tone; still disappointed that it's not a key to escape.

Taehyung travelled to the other side of the room, relocating to the whip cupboard in which I followed. Leaning against the dark oak, I squinted in curiosity only to be shocked when the key doesn't fit into the lock. I turned my body around, leaning my back against the wardrobe- trailing my eyes around the room.

Until they stopped on one particular point.

"Pass me the key." I demanded, putting my hand out ready for Taehyung to place it into my palm. He didn't speak, just looked at me in confusion; watching my every move.

On Margaret's side of the desk was a triplet set of draws-the bottom one (also the largest one) had a shimmering golden lock on it. I bent down, connecting the key into the lock which fit perfectly. I grinned to myself, suddenly feeling Taehyungs presence kneeling down beside me. I opened the draw, which revealed hundreds of files organised into alphabetical order.

"Shit." Taehyung mumbled to himself in astonishment.

"Look, they're sorted by names." I pointed at the slip on the top of the files; immediately attracted to one name in particular.

"Taehyung."

"Yeah?" He answered, tilting his head to look at me- wavy blonde strands drifting over his eyes.

"No, it says Taehyung." I pointed at a black folder in which he slipped out of the draw. Opening it with anticipation, Taehyung was shocked to see several documents of him including: photos, news articles, general information.

"It says everything about my past. Anna, yours might be in there." His voice became extremely soft, knowing that if my details and documents were in there, I would have to face the truth.

My eyes inspected the entire draw, quickly enough finding my name on a file. Without hesitation I snatched it out, mentally preparing myself for something upsetting. I needed to know. I can't just remain in Bricondale without any knowledge of my past or any reasons why.

The first page was a news paper article.

The title had large, bold letters; attracting anyone's attention. My heart sank whilst reading it, tears began falling. Taehyungs hand began stroking my back as he started to read the answers to my past as well.

SIX YEAR OLD SETS ORPHANAGE ON FIRE!
23rd June 2004

Six year old, Anna Rae, unfortunately suffering from mental health issues; set her orphanage alight on June 23rd.