23: Locked

OKᗩY, ᔕO....
I'm going to switch the story over to third person. It seems easier for me to write this way and sorry if it causes any confusion. I just want to be able to relay the story the best way possible 🖤
_______________🌻______________

"Christian! CHRISTIAN GET UP."

"I'm up, I'm up. Why are you yelling?" His voice was low and full of sleep as Ni'Kya's worries made her voice elevate to practically screaming at him.

"Oh thank God you're okay." She felt like she had finally let go of a breath she'd been holding in for ages, letting out a sigh of relief.

He yawned, trying to speak through it, "Of course I'm okay. Why wouldn't I be?" He stretched himself out over his bed, rubbing his eyes as he tried to wake up.

She was silent, reluctantly telling him, "Well....I had...this dream..."

That got his attention.

"...and in my dream...you were.."

"Don't. It... it's just a dream." Unbeknownst to the both of them, the other believed all to well in the power of dreams, especially since the ones they've had seemed to be coming true ever since they found each other.

"It felt real.." she tired to shake it, but the feeling of dread that showered her as she sprang from her sleep was too much. She just kept picturing him falling in her head over and over again.

"Ky....you okay?" His voice was soft, him still trying to fully wake. Her silence felt heavy after her words drifted off.

"Yeah, I'll be fine."

He sighed, wishing he could be there to hold her and help ease her back into sleep, let her feel his warmth and hear his heartbeat, "...alright. Well, I recon you should try and lay back down. It's a lil past 2am."

"...yeah." She didn't want to close her eyes, afraid the same dream or a worse one would arise, but she knew he had to get back to working and keeping him on the phone would be a bother for his concentration.

"You sure you're okay? I can stay on longer if-"

"It's fine, baby. Thank you." She smiled a bit, trying to sound more confident and reassuring.

He was silent for a second, questioning if she was just trying to put on a brave face for him, either way, there wasn't much he could do from over 7,000 miles away, "Okay, well... I'm gonna go get started up again. You call me back if you need me, alright?"

"Okay, Roo."

"...I love you."

"Love you too." The beeping sound of the phone hanging up drifted as she tossed her phone to the side.

She was wide awake, and although her body felt heavy, she knew she wouldn't be able to fall back asleep, "I guess I'll just go draw something." She grabbed her mini sketchbook from her nightstand and began sketching, letting the pencil strokes try and ease her nerves.

-🌻-

"So, we finally get to meet this boy your sister has been telling us about." Ni'Kya's dad sat at the end of the dining room table watching her setup her laptop in different spots all over its surface.

Not that was really going to do anything, it was just her nerves making her antsy and she couldn't be still, "Daddy, please be nice."