𝒯𝓌𝑜

THE RAID

     IT WAS THAT TIME of year when the annual fair returned to Birmingham

     IT WAS THAT TIME of year when the annual fair returned to Birmingham. It had been the Shelby boys tradition to go every year and although it began with their father, the men carried on the yearly visits for their youngest brother.

Deborah walked into her old home and headed straight to the kitchen, where she knew Polly would be. As she expected, the older women sat at the kitchen table, sipping a cup of tea and dressed for church.

"Morning Pol." Deborah greeted her, as she slumped in the seat beside her.

Polly hummed and pushed the plate of scones towards the young women. "Morning love, how are you?"

Deborah shrugged and picked at one of the fresh scones before her. "I'm alright, a little jealous of the boys day out." She admitted sheepishly.

The older brunette chuckled and placed a hand on Deborah's cheek. "You and Ada were always jealous of the boys when they went to the fair."

"It was unfair!" The young women argued. "They got to go have fun for the day while we were stuck at home cleaning."

The two women burst out laughing at the good memories. It seemed like so long ago when everyone was equally as happy and the children's innocence was in the house. Now they were all forced to grow up and focus on the future, not the past.

"How are you really?" Polly asked again, once their laughing died down. She rubbed her thumb along Deborah's cheek, when she noticed her smile begin to fade.

Deborah's sighed and leaned into the comforting touch of her mother figure. "Its so hard Pol." She finally admitted. "I don't want to love him anymore because I know he doesn't love me. But, when I see that look in his eyes of sadness or if something's bothering him, I can't help but think of ways to help him."

"Tommy is still madly in love with you Deb." Polly whispered, pulling the younger women in for a hug. "He might not see it now but when that haze of war finally clears, he'll realise what he lost."

Deborah pulled away and looked Polly dead in the eyes. "Pol, I need you to tell me about the situation Tommy's in."

"Tommy's fine." Polly assured, handing Deborah one of hr cigarettes as she lit her own.

"I've known you both long enough to tell when you're hiding something from the others." Deborah told her, inhaling the smoke.

Polly ran a hand along her aging face, before slowly nodding. "Those guns that Copper from Belfast is looking for, Tommy has them."

"Fuck." Deborah cursed, running a hand threw her curly hair.

"I confronted him about it." Polly continued. "Gave him one option, give up those bloody guns or get our family killed."