𝒩𝒾𝓃𝑒

BLACK STAR DAY

    DEBORAH WAS RUDELY woken by a loud bang that echoed through her small bedroom

DEBORAH WAS RUDELY woken by a loud bang that echoed through her small bedroom. The young women groaned and turned towards the source of noise. She was greeted by Tommy's apologetic smile, as he finished getting dressed.

"Sorry. Dropped my gun." He explained, shrugging his jacket on.

Deborah huffed and pulled the bedsheet to cover her nudity. "What are you doing up?" She questioned, snuggling further into Tommy's pillow.

"It's December third." Tommy said, while moving to sit on the edge of the bed. "Today's the day."

"The day for what?" Deborah asked drowsily, slowly sliding a hand along his thigh.

"The day we take down Billy Kimber." He reminded her, running his fingers soothingly along her bare back.

"Black Star Day." She remembered. "Well, have fun with that."

Tommy yanked the sheet from her, exposing her bare body to the cold morning air. Deborah yelped and sat up to smack his chest, while grabbing the covers again.

"Get up." He demanded, standing and heading towards the door. "Family meeting, half ten."

"Sure." Deborah mumbled, falling back into bed.

"Deborah, you better be there." Tommy warned her, as he ran down the stairs.

Before he could leave the house, he heard her voice call down the stairs. "Love you." Tommy smiled and shook his head, mentally replying to her.

Once Tommy had woken every member of his family up and warned them of their meeting, he found himself searching for Campbell. It had been almost a week since he learnt that the man had attacked Deborah, but he wouldn't be satisfied until he gave the man his warning. He was mildly surprised to find the copper in the local whore house, but he was glad to find him.

"It's curious, Inspector." Tommy announced his presence, when he entered the room. "I thought you came here to clean up the city. Not to sleep with its whores. You're no different from any other copper that came before you."

"I'm no different from those who would follow should I choose to leave." Campbell defended, turning to the gangster once he was dressed.

"You've no reason to stay. You have what you came for." Tommy reminded him

"Yes. I have what I came for. I have a meeting with Mr Winston Churchill at midday. And no doubt he intends to congratulate me on finding those stolen guns. And you still don't know how we found them, do you?" The copper questioned and Tommy remained quiet. "Good."

"Oh, you got lucky." Tommy smirked.

"Did I?" Campbell watched as Tommy nodded his head. "One thing I have learned...is that you and I are opposites, but also just the same." He gestured between himself and Tommy. "Like an image in a mirror. We hate people. And they in turn hate us. And fear us. Before the day is over, your heart will be broken ..just the same as mine. The women you love will suffer for your mistakes, Mr.Shelby."