𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎

THE LONG AWAITED TALK

      SPENDING SEVERAL LONG hours in a car with only one other person, had anyone lost deep in thought

SPENDING SEVERAL LONG hours in a car with only one other person, had anyone lost deep in thought. That's exactly how Deborah was as she sat beside Tommy, head resting against the window. Herself and Tommy were on their way back to Camden Town, however, this time around, they had three more boats following them that were filled with men. Tommy's deal with Alfie included workers, to help ship Shelby Limited products to different parts of the world.

Deborah had begged her partner to let her come, desperate to get out of Birmingham and finally face her eldest brother. She hadn't heard back from Alfie since she sent her letter, but now he had no choice but to speak with her.

The young women embraced the silence of the area, as Tommy continued to drive them towards London, announcing they were to arrive soon. Through the long car ride, Deborah had found herself constantly thinking of her life with Tommy and their future together. Perhaps the interest had grown after last night, when they spent hours lying in bed, caressing and loving every scar and bump on one another.

They hadn't discussed anything regarding the subject in a long time, but now she had this burning desire to finally marry the man she loved. It had been such a long time coming and since Tommy had shown no signs of proposing, the women decided she would take matters into her own hands if he didn't do anything soon.

"Deb." Tommy's voice snapped her from her thoughts, as he shook her shoulders. "We're here."

They soon joined the large group of men on the docks and guided them towards the familiar bakery. When they arrived, all the men went to enrol themselves as bakers for Alfie, a cover for their true purpose. Deborah and Tommy hung back, waiting for them all to gather again.

Soon the enrolling was complete and they were all in an empty area of the bakery. Tommy ordered the men to line up, while the two Solomans remained quiet, leaning on different crates of rum.

"All right, boys, you've now all been enrolled as bakers in the Aerated Bread Company of Camden Town." Tommy announced, walking back and forth in front of the group. "If anyone asks, that's what you do. You're bakers. The coppers in Camden Town are on our side, but north or south, you show them that piece of paper. Tell them you've come down from the north to find work, to break strikes. Tell them you're fascists if you have to. We're finding lodgings for you but, for now, you'll sleep here in the bakery. But don't touch any of the bread, it'll most likely explode." He warned, before pausing. "Any questions?" An older man at the front timidly raised his hand. "Yes?"

"I haven't seen any bread." He joked, making himself and the rest of the men laugh.

Tommy turned to Deborah and Alfie, unamused by the man's joke. The women just pursed her lips and glanced up at her brother, noticing his own pursed lips and crossed arms. The group of men fell silent as Alfie slowly walked over and stood in front of the idiotic man. Suddenly he raised his crowbar and hit an innocent man, beside the jokester. Deborah clenched her jaw as she stared down at the unconscious body, watching as dark red liquid oozed on the floor.