𝒮𝒾𝓍

RETURNING HOME

     BREATHING IN THE polluted, yet familiar, air of Birmingham, Deborah was glad to be home

     BREATHING IN THE polluted, yet familiar, air of Birmingham, Deborah was glad to be home. Her trip away to London for a few weeks had been needed and it wasn't until she stepped foot in the city that she remembered how much she missed it. While Birmingham was her home, nothing compared to the excitement and freedom of London.

The first week had been spent clearing up lose ties and searching for old friends. After countless nights on drinking and dancing at the glamorous clubs, Deborah had decided she needed to get home. Maybe it was the drugs and alcohol still in her system, but the young women wanted to put any drama in her life behind her - which meant forgiving Tommy.

Walking into the Shelby home, Deborah made her presence known as she yelled her greetings. The first one to greet her was little Finn, who almost toppled down the stairs as he ran into her open arms.

"Finny!" Deborah squealed, swinging the boy around. "My favourite Shelby."

"Aye. What's that I just heard?" John grumbled playfully, walking into the kitchen.

Polly, Arthur and an unimpressed looking Tommy followed behind him, all from the betting shop. Deborah placed Finn back on the ground and rushed to pull a sulking John in for a hug.

"Fuck off." John muttered, playfully shoving her away. "Here's me thinking I was your favourite, guess bloody not."

"Come here idiot." Deborah laughed, finally pulling the young man in for a hug.

Polly was next to give her a welcome home hug. She had made sure to warn Deborah not to go running off again, adding a threat to make her point clear.

"Arthur." Deborah grinned. She held her arms wide open, waiting for the eldest Shelby to greet her.

"My Debbie's home." Arthur cheered, before scooping her up and twirling her around. "I fucking missed ya princess." He smiled, once she was safely back on the floor.

The room fell silent once they realised who was left to greet her. Tommy leaned against the kitchen sink, a cigarette in hand, as he watched her closely. Both of them were cautious around the other, unsure of how to approach the situation. They had pissed one another off in two completely different ways.

"Tommy." Deborah spoke up, deciding to be the better person.

Noticing the tension between the two, Polly knew they needed privacy. "Come on you three, lets go find a frame for our new legal betting license."

Deborah's eyes widened at the announcement, but remained quiet as Polly ushered the others out of the room. Once the doors were closed and the ex-lovers were left alone, did Tommy decide to speak up.

"Where did you go?" He questioned, eyeing her.

"That's none of your business." Deborah told him. She noticed of his jaw clenched and she knew that he was trying to stay calm.