𝐹𝒾𝓋𝑒

THE RACES

     DEBORAH STOLE ONE last look at herself in the mirror, before she began packing her things into her purse

     DEBORAH STOLE ONE last look at herself in the mirror, before she began packing her things into her purse. The day of the races had arrived and she had been up since sunrise preparing. After her breakdown yesterday evening in front of Tommy, he had ordered her to be ready for nine am sharp and she had made sure she was.

Her new silk baby blue dress, bought with Tommy's money, hugged her figure comfortably. She had spent the longest on her makeup, that finally looked perfect and her usually dark, wavy hair was combed and curled. Deborah felted looked gorgeous and she secretly hoped Tommy thought so too.

"Morning." She greeted Tommy, as she closed her front door behind her.

Tommy, who had been busy smoking a cigarette, turned at the sound of her voice. His own greeting caught in his throat when he caught sight of her. To him she always looked beautiful, but today in particular her beauty had struck him. Perhaps it was the new dress she wore, that happened to match the colour of his eyes, or maybe it was the joyful glow on her face. Either way, she had stole his breath away.

"Tommy?" Deborah waved a hand in front of his frozen face, snapping him from his thoughts. She was now sitting beside him in the Shelby family car. "Everything okay?"

Tommy cleared his throat and shuffled to start the car. "Yes, you're perfect, I mean everything is perfect." He stuttered.

Deborah hummed and turned to face the window to hide the smile on her face. She giggled quietly as she heard Tommy curse under his breath. It was always a sight to see when Thomas Shelby, notorious gangster, got flustered. Fortunately, Deborah was the only person to witness it, due to her usually being the one to cause it.

"Should I even bother asking if we're allowed back her?" Deborah questioned Tommy, as he guided her down a hallway.

"Well, I prefer to come to the races the back way." Tommy lied. "It keeps me out of trouble. Tracks are lawless places. I can't stand petty criminals. This way."

Deborah followed his directions and soon they stood a few feet way from the entrance doors of the main bar. There was a man guarding the entrance and Deborah wondered how Tommy would find away to get them past him.

"OK, you do the talking. Tell security you are Lady Sarah Duggan. You got lost when you went to look for the boy riding your horse - Dandy Flower." Tommy explained, still walking in the direction of the guard.

"Dandy Flower?" Deborah scoffed.

"Pixie Tail, it doesn't matter." Tommy muttered. "If they ask about me, say I'm Prussian and don't speak a word of English. Come on, posh girl. You got that dress you wanted."

"And I look fabulous in it." Deborah gloated, before turning around to charm the man. "Hello sir..."

After a rather messy chat with the guard, the two had made it inside. Tommy had his eyes locked on Billy Kimber's table, while Deborah was gazing down at the dancing couples. Jazz music filled the air, along with people's chatting and laughter, it was a very different atmosphere to the Garrison.