Chapter 26

Kauai 8.30 p.m.
Grayson POV -

I walk up to the car. It's dark and quiet in the driveway. I look around but don't see Emma. I walk up to the Jeep and go sit on the hood of the car. What could she possibly want from me I think as I read the texts again. I look up when I hear a familiar cough. Emma is standing at the other side of the driveway and is looking me up and down. I jump off the hood as she is walking towards me. I open my arms and invite her into a hug. She puts her arms around me and hugs me tight.

"Hi.." she says quietly. "Hi.." I respond. "So.. what's going on with you?" I ask her. She shrugs. "Nothing, I just needed you to know how I feel about you." She says. "Emma.." I respond as I look at her looking down at her shoes.  "I'm in love.." I say. Her eyes find my eyes and she looks hopeful. "With y/n." I add and see her hope disappear. She tilts her head and crosses her arms. "You don't even know her like you know me." She whines. "I don't have to.." I say. "My heart knows her heart. My heart beats for her. It chose her." I now say a bit more aggressively. I hear a car door open and see dumbass Mike from the Airbnb next door heading to his car. We lock eyes and I feel a rage burning in my chest. He looks at me as if he would kill me. Emma reaches out for my face and cups my cheeks with her hands. I look at her face and back at Mike's who is still looking at us.

"Gray.." Emma says. "Just give me one night to convince you we should be together. Please spend the night with me." She continues as she leans in to kiss me.

Kauai 8.40 p.m.
Ethan POV -

Both y/n and I are watching Grayson and Emma in complete silence. I squeeze her hand as if I'm trying to tell her that everything is gonna be okay. I feel her hand getting clammy and I look at her face. Her lower lip is trembling. All of a sudden her eyes widen and she squeezes my hand hard! I immediately turn my head and look at Emma leaning into Grayson. Is Grayson actually gonna kiss her? Kiss her while this angelic woman next to me feels and looks like the perfect puzzle piece to complete his soul? Kiss her while Emma is technically still my girlfriend?

"STOP!!" Grayson yells as he pushes Emma back. "Emma, I love you!" He says. "I love you as I love my best friend." He continues. Emma puts her hands in her hair and starts walking around in circles.

How is this my girlfriend? This isn't love. It never was. She is funny and cute but that's it. I'm more overwhelmed by y/n's touch and energy than I have ever been with Emma's I realize. Shit! I'm not supposed to think about y/n in that way and I quickly let go of her hand. I look at y/n's face but she seems unfazed and is still looking at Grayson and Emma.

"Emma.." Grayson continues. "Y/n is gonna be my girlfriend. She is gonna be my wife one day. She is gonna be the mother of my children and I will grow old with her." He adds. "I wish I could show the world what loving her feels like. Because it's a feeling I would die for over and over again." Gray says while holding Emma's shoulders.

Y/n steps out onto the grass. Should I follow her or stay here? What do I do? She walks towards Grayson and Emma. As soon as they see her I decide to follow y/n. Just in case she is gonna fight Emma. Emma would never survive that.

Y/n walks up to Grayson and puts her arms around his waist. She rests her head on his chest. I see how relaxed she is around Grayson. No panic, no anxiety, no anger. "Hi.." she says to a shocked Emma. "I'm y/n. Nice to meet you." Gray puts his arms around y/n and sighs of relief. "I will be with Grayson!" Emma yells as she storms off. "Emma!!" I shout. But she doesn't hear me.