11.

"well, look who's here early."

chanhee dropped down his bag carelessly at the corner of the room. today's the day that they'll officially start rehearsing for the performance, so they told the selected members of their respective clubs to come in the school's gym on a saturday morning.

practices start at 9 am, but the clock just strucked eight. chanhee thought that he must have looked excited for arriving an hour early but little did he know, someone arrived earlier than him.

"shut up. you're early too." changmin looked up from his phone and grinned at chanhee. the orange-haired boy looks like he arrived just a few minutes before chanhee.

chanhee approached the boy and sat beside him, looking at whatever changmin was even watching. "but you're earlier."

"guess we're both excited to practice, huh?" changmin asked him and chanhee smiled while nodding eagerly.

the two boys just sat at the edge of the stage and watched some idols perform in changmin's phone to kill the time.

"you know," changmin suddenly said after they finished watching wanna one's debut stage. "i once dreamt to be an idol."

chanhee looked at him curiously. "you did?"

"yeah. performing on stage looks like fun. i mean, getting to do the things you love— which is singing and dancing— on a stage while people scream your name? i really wanna experience that." changmin sighed heavily. "but my mom said that i won't be successful if i take that path, since a lot of people also wants to be an idol, so standing out and being recognized is really hard."

changmin continued, "she's right though. the only thing i'm good at is dancing. what about my personality? my singing skills? my looks? they're just average and won't really help me stand out. so i decided to just take on the family business when i finish schooling."

chanhee felt upset and sad for the boy beside him. you see, chanhee is the person who doesn't like to be told what to do. he's a person who is not easily affected by people's opinions and is always firm with his decisions, which is why when his parents told him that he'll have to be an accountant when he graduates, he denied their order, because deep down in his heart he knows that he doesn't want to be an accountant; he wants to become a singer and do what he always loves to do: singing.

"bullshit." chanhee cursed. "everything about you is beyond average! your visuals, your dancing, your singing— even if i haven't heard you sing, your personality! i'm sure if you have just taken the idol path, you will easily be recognized and be successful." he faced changmin and smiled. "because you were born to be a star, so don't speak so lowly of yourself, got it?"

changmin felt his cheeks blush at chanhee's words. getting compliments isn't new to him, he always receives compliments from the people around him, but chanhee... chanhee's compliments and assurance were amazing. it pierced through his heart and made him lighten up. it was short, but he felt sincerity in chanhee's words and that made him warm and happy.

"thanks, chan. i appreciated everything you said." changmin pretended to wipe a fake tear and chanhee laughed.

chanhee's laugh, however, was put to a halt when changmin suddenly caught him in a hug. the pink-haired boy was surprised at first, but after processing the situation, hugged the boy back and even patted his back. "it was nothing, really... i just told you the truth, that you are amazing."

changmin broke from the hug and stood up. "it's only 15 minutes left before 9, so emo hours are now over." he joked and went to the center of the room.

chanhee followed him. "why is a single person not arriving yet? we told them that we'll meet up at 9, right?" he asked changmin and the boy nodded his head.

"since people are gonna come anytime now, wanna bet?" changmin started.

"i'm listening."

"if the first person to enter the gym came from the dance club, you have to treat me ice cream. but if it's a member of your club, i will be the one treating you."

chanhee smiled at the thought of free ice cream. "deal. i'm confident that i'll win, i have an always punctual jacob on my side."

as if on cue, the doors of the gym opened and it revealed a blonde jacob holding a guitar in his back. the gym is suddenly filled with the shutting sounds of the door, a defeated groan, and a loud shout of joy.

chanhee did a happy dance in front of a sulking changmin and jacob appeared visibly confused at the sight.

"what did i just walked into?"

chanhee approached the confused boy and wrapped his arm around his shoulder. "happiness, jacob. you just walked into the happiness of a boy who'll be getting some free ice cream later."

"okay?"