Chapter 3

Present-day

Kim Minah

I still can't believe it's been eight years, eight years of living a lonely and sad life. I haven't been in contact with NCT for over five years, but my hope still burns like a fire. I know that one day I will be out of this hellhole, and finally be able to see my family again. The cheques keep coming in every month, and at this point, I've been able to memorise their account number. I was told not to find a job, so I lived here and took online university classes, eventually graduating with a print out certificate. I would never have thought that life would come to this, the only social action I get is with the grocery store owner, Mrs Park, a sweet, old lady who has helped out a lot. Chatting with her has become the one thing I look forward to every day, but I can only spend 45 minutes with her because the unknown gang are sweeping the area and it's not safe. I still don't know much about this unknown gang except for the fact that they are a lot more potent than we thought, a threat like them should've been taken care of in a few months, no a few weeks. But I'm still here, and it's been eight years, I've tried every hobby I can think of, I read books, learnt code, you name it, I've done it. The only thing I've been unable to master is fighting, mostly because I have no one to compete with and am just too lazy for any of that. I wonder how Minyoung is doing, has she changed much? Does she still care for me as much as I care for her? And Johnny, does he remember me? The flirty fuck is probably trying to seduce some girl or, I don't even know, he changed a lot from when we were children, and he's probably changed even more now.

I check my mail, like any other day, except I feel the presence of somebody else, the feeling of loneliness has left my soul, and I want it back. I try my best to act as natural as possible; there's no way whoever's watching me can attack me in such a public room. The mailroom has a massive window in front of the busy road. If this stalker knows that I'm here, he must know my routine, so it's time to go to the grocery store and have my chat. Mrs Park isn't like most other ladies, she has many weapons on hand and has my complete trust as well as the gang's, but that's a story for another time. I went into the store, picked up a basket as usual and ticked off the items on my grocery's list before paying and sitting down to chat with Mrs Park. I have no idea how skilled this stalker is and what kind of weapons and technology he has to hand, so I have to be careful. The conversation starts as usual, except I'm dripping with sweat, guess my body wants me to get caught and die. The only form of weaponry I have on me is a dull blade, hidden under my thigh, but that won't be enough, I need guns. So, like any other girl in trouble, I winked twice at Mrs Park, followed by a simple hand gesture, and she instantly knew what I was asking. "Minah darling, will you be a star and help me with the till, I think it's stuck," she said in the calmest tone,

"Sure Mrs Park looks like you need to replace this thing," I replied, followed by a loud giggle. If I'm loud enough, I might be able to intercept whatever hearing device he has, if he even has one. She slowly passed me the gun, and I pulled open the till, "wow it really was stuck in there Mrs Park, it's a good thing that you got me to help. Oh," I hum, looking down at my watch, "would you look at the time, I've got to go Mrs Park. Have a nice day," I yelled while walking out.

The journey back to the apartment complex went smoothly. However, the stalker's presence was still lurking in the polluted air. Like always, I double-checked the mailbox; there was an envelope, similar to what my cheque's envelope looks like. That's odd, I received my check two weeks ago, as I suspiciously opened the envelope, I saw a cheque written with my real name on it. I never accept cheques in my real name. My breath hitched as I saw the account number and noticed how it didn't match the usual one. My hands started shaking; they know where I am and who I am. How? Surely they can't be that good; there's no way they could've found out after all this time. Wait. There's no way they would've left such a hint without some sort of- beep beep beep.