Chapter 29

Kim Minah

The constant feeling of being watched creeps over me like a shadow, every time I turn my back, I feel as if someone's watching me. It fills me up with fear, but I'm too scared to turn around, too afraid to be faced with a gun. Youngho's still asleep; I thought it would be a good idea to walk down to the market and buy some ingredients for breakfast. The route is simple, walk out of the building, through the park and the market is there. But instead, I'm stuck in this park, terrified. Pull yourself together Minah, stop being a coward! The sensation of fear sinking in takes over my body. Keep going Minah; you can do this. So far, all I've felt is paranoia, but now that I can physically hear footsteps behind me, the adrenaline pumps in. If I run now, I may be able to lose whoever's behind me. My pace fastens, as does the one behind me. Shit!

I'm now running, but I know whoever is behind me will catch up. I manage to make it behind a tree, pulling out a small handgun from my pocket, ready to fire at whoever is behind me. The footsteps and heavy breathing coming from behind the tree are upon me; this is it; this is the time. I step out from behind the tree, the mouth of the gun shakingly pointed at the culprit. I take a look at whoever's been stalking me and am faced with a somewhat nostalgic sensation. He's a grey-haired man, not much older than 60 with a friendly face. He's familiar, a face I've seen before. It takes a few seconds for my brain to start working; the familiar face is none other than my father. This, however, doesn't stop me from pointing the gun at his wretched face, "What are you doing here?" I hiss, scowling at the man who left mom and me so long ago.

He remains silent, a small smile tugging at his lips, "we need to talk," he speaks, voice as I had remembered it. "Then talk," I speak, gun still aimed at his head.
"Minah," the way my name came out of his mouth made me shudder, "put the gun down."
"Why?" I scream, "you left us! You don't have the right to tell me what to do." He now takes a step closer, the gun only a few centimetres from his head. "Stay back!" I shout, releasing the safety lock, hand on the trigger. "Put it down," he speaks softly, placing his hand on the gun and pointing it down. I put the pistol back, tears falling from my face and direct him to a bench, "what is it that you have to say?" I ask, unable to face him.
"Minah," he talks, voice subtle and ample, "look at me when I talk to you. I can't bear seeing you so upset with me." I only stare at him, speaking with my eyes, telling him to hurry up and get to the point.

He takes a gulp, looking me straight in the eyes before eventually speaking, "you have a brother."
"I have a what?" I ask, completely and utterly in shock.
"A brother, his name is Kim Heechul, like you, he took his mother's surname."
"Why?" I ask, to be returned with a slightly puzzled face. "Why now? Why do you show up as soon as I forget about you? Why tell me now?"
"Minah, I-"
"DON'T 'MINAH' ME! WHERE WERE YOU WHEN MOM DIED?" I scream, letting my emotions run wild. He only looks down in despair, "I BET YOU DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THAT SHE WAS DEAD!"

This time, he glances up, a single tear running down his face, "I did. She took her life for your brother. You've got to understand t-that he's a lot older than you, your mother favoured him over everything."
"W-what happened?"

"It's long and complicated...

______________

... Do you understand what I mean?" he spoke, I simply nodded, taking in everything he told me. What he had told me took me by surprise, all of it took me by surprise. I didn't know what to think, except I wanted my revenge, and I wanted it now. "Take my number, call me if anything happens," he spoke, passing me a golden card engraved with his name and number. We both got up and hugged in what felt like forever. Surprisingly, it was comforting, something I had, deep down, missed the feeling of.