Rain Escapes

My heart beat could be heard thumping in my ear drums as I was about to climb the rusty ladder. We agreed to go one by one since the ladder was so old. So I waited patiently palms sweating, adrenaline pumping through my veins. My thoughts were a jumble mess. You wouldn't be able to tell by my face as I held no emotions.

"Come on baby girl"

King yelled out at the top. Taking a deep breath I began my journey to freedom. When I look up all I see is darkness. Just as I make to the top King grabs me lifting me up in the air. I can't help the small laugh that breaks out of me. The smell made me stop everything at the moment. He sits me down on the ground looking at me. Small rain drops fall from the foggy sky. I was so scared this was all a dream. I was so scared that I would up any minute and this small freedom would turn out to be a dream. Slipping the shoes off my feet, I let my toes embrace the moist ground beneath me. It was heavenly a feeling I don't think I will ever get use to.

"You good baby?"

My smile is gentle as I look behind me nodding softly. Biting my lip it takes everything in me not to scream and shout in bliss. I don't even pay attention to the others as they come from underneath. Looking to the trees and leaves that fall to the ground as the rain hits them. The hoots of the unseen nature around me. The world was calm with just a hint of breeze.

"We gotta go baby girl"

Inhaling one more time before taking Kings hand in mine. Then something dawned on me.... What now?

Stopping in my tracks at this question. King looks back confused at my sudden pause.

"What's wrong?"

"Where are we going? What do we do now?"

He chuckles making me frown.

"There's a van at the top parked with the key waiting for us"

I nod feeling childish

"I told you I got you"

Nodding with a small smile taking his hand again as I followed behind him. The others followed in step behind me. No one said much I think we were to nervous to utter a word.

King stops looking around staying quietly. Moving to the left of us he begins moving branches out of a area that reveals a all black van with no windows. He opens the door looking inside before motioning us to get in.

"I'll drive"

Jay hops in the driver seat before anybody else can respond. Looking in the back area there's two sets of seats.

"Take the back one shawty"

Sitting on the last seat where King follows. There are windows but they are not seen on the outside.I look out the window and it seemed a bit darker than before.

King pulls me to him whispering in my ear

"They are completely tinted we good"

Everybody else falls in. Jaylee sits in the first backseat and Royalty sits in the passenger seat.

"Everybody good?....Thennnn let's go"

Jay starts the engine driving off to the unknown. I was ok with that though.

King reaches in the small area in the back pulling some pillows and thin blankets out.

He turns so his back is turned from the window. His legs being to long sits crossing the seat. Pulling my waist turning me around where I'm tucked into his chest he places the blanket on top of me.

"We got a long road ahead of us sleep lul baby"

Feeling the events hit my body I suddenly want to sleep.

"We can go to my old house"

"Just head north and ride it's a straight shot for hours. Wake me when you get to a Middle Ground store."

I don't bother evening attempting to process and listen what they say. My eyes drift all on there own and the energy that was once present was slowly disappearing making me fall into a peaceful sleep.

I just knew I had nothing to worry about at that very moment. I could drift knowing nothing would happen while I slept. King held me tightly in his arms

I don't know how I knew to go this way but I did. It's like my body knew where home use to be.

What felt like only minutes I was being shook awake. Letting out a small groan before completely waking up. We turned and drove down a wood type area the car going up and down in a fast motion.a I knew these bumps. I remember these bumps I know it sounds crazy but I missed them. Even though as a child I hated them. I would be sleep in the backseat but be woken up as soon as we turned down our path.

"Slow down or you will fuck up the tires. It's a dip coming up... a deep one".

Our heads went up close to the ceiling as we passed over the dip. Well mine and Jaylees head had no issue. The boys heads bounce off the top of the van. There it was my safe place that turned into my prison. I say prison since I've been haunted everyday that I left. But it was my safe place since it was my last treasure that my parents had made.

I could feel Kings arms tighten around my waist. He was trying to let me know he got me.

We stop in front of the some what run down house.

It still looked like nothing had really changed. Getting out the car walking up the steps. My wet hands grabs the door twisting it open. When the door opens emotions, memories and thoughts hit me all at once.

"Home sweet home"