Chapter 27

Harry's POV

The next morning I wake up feeling anxious. I'm worried about what happened between Bren and Adam after I left. I decide I'm going to go see her at work.

I get the address from Liam and head over to the building. When I get there I walk inconspicuously over to the elevator and the directory until I find 'Adam Bryant VP' on it. I head up to the top floor and see Bren over by the microwave warming up a hot pocket.

Without even thinking it through I walk over to her and rest my hand on her shoulder. She spins around and her eyes widen. Her brown skin looks as radiant as ever and she looks happy to see me. I'm overtaken by mixed emotions and I find myself at a loss of words. The only three I can come up with flood out of my mouth before I can stop myself.

"I love you," I blurt.

"What?" she gasps astonished.

"I love you," I repeat trying to make sense of the words.

"Um, well-wow-er-thanks?" she stutters before opening the microwave and attempting to leave.

I grab her by her wrist and gently pull her back.

"Harry, I have to work," she sighs wriggling her hand out if my grasp.

"Did you not hear me? I said I l-"

"Don't. Don't say it."

"I thought that's what you wanted to hear. That I actually like you and this could work?"

"Yeah but I'm really not in a place where I should have a relationship," she shrugs and I die a little.

Her phone starts to ring.

"I jus thought that maybe I could show you s-"

She glances down at her phone before looking back up at me.

"I have to take this," she says putting her hand up to silence me.

Bren's POV

I answer the phone.

"Hey dad," I greet.

"Hey baby girl? When are you coming home?" he asks.

Home? I didn't really think about that.

"I don't know. Maybe in a few months?"

"Months? Are you crazy? What's there that you can't get here!"

I glance over at Harry who is standing there looking annoyed.

"A lot. I have my own apartment and job and friends here. I like being independent. I don't want to come home," I reply.

There is silence on the other end of the phone.

"Dad?"

"What about UCLA?" he asks. "Your dream school?"

"Um. I'll just apply to a school here," I reply.

"Bren, that wasn't the plan," he sighs.

"It's my life dad. Which means the plan is decided by me," I reply respectfully.

More silence.

"I miss you."

"I miss you too dad."

"Do you mind if I ask you something?" he asks.

"Sure anything," I reply.

"Matthew has a week off of school and I was wondering if he could go stay with you for the time."

"Yeah of course," I respond.

I kind of miss him too.

"Great. I already bought his ticket! He'll be there next Monday! Bye!" he says hanging up before I can object.

"Sorry, that was important."

"Who was that? Was that a guy? Was that Robert?" he questions.

"No, it was my dad," I reply.

The air in the room is still and filled with an uncomfortable silence which I am the first to interrupt.

"Harry what do you want?"

~.~.~.~.~
A/N:
-Soulja Boy Voice-
YOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

*I'm sorry guys. I couldn't help it*
~.~.~.~.~

"To know why you're shutting me out."

"I'm not shutting you out. You were never really in," I reply.

"I'm just confused, one day you're crying because you assume that I don't like you and the next day I'm here pouring out my heart and you won't even listen. It's killing me," he sighs taking a few steps until he's standing over me.

I look up at him. His green eyes are as bright as ever and his brown hair falls on either side of his face. There isn't even a hint of a smile on his face as he looks down at me.

"You are so beautiful," he whispers when he's close enough that our chests are almost touching. Then something inside of me just connects.

I wrap my arms around his neck and kiss the living hell out of him in the middle of the empty break room. His tongue slips into my mouth and peppermint floods my senses. I feel his arms wrap around my waist to keep me in place while our heavy breathing creates an abstract rhythm. I run my fingers through his hair making it stick up in certain places. His nose brushes mine as he tilts his head and I can suddenly smell his cologne. He moans into the kiss as it deepens and I begin to run out of air so I gently push him away.

"I've got to get back to work," I cough gasping for breath.

"Okay," he says smiling.

I fix his hair and lay a gentle kiss on his cheek before leaving the room.