Chapter 49

Bren's POV

I head back home where Adam is waiting patiently for me. I tell him about everything that happened with Harry at Starbucks and we split the cheese and the Dr. Pepper.

Got too distracted to buy groceries...

There's the inevitable knock on the door from my bipolar ex boyfriend. One minute he hates me one minute he loves me. One minute he wants me to kill his kid the next he wants to win dad of the year. One minute he's talking about fucking some random chick and the next he's knocking on my door.

I open it cautiously and Harry immediately speaks.

"I'm sorry," he replies looking me straight in the eyes.

"Sorry about what? You like pretty girls. That's not a crime," I tell him and he just looks at his feet.

"Come get back and lie with me love!" I hear Adam call from the living room.

Harry's face turns from relaxed to tense and I smile a bit at the effect it has on him.

"Oh, he's here again?" Harry asks.

"Yeah, he's here almost every day," I reply.

"Are you guys still, you know?"

None of your business...

"What's the point of this conversation?" I ask wanting to shut the door in his face.

"The point is I want you to forgive me and I want things to be how they used to," he replies and his ignorance almost makes me laugh.

"Harry leave. I don't have time for you right now," I sigh.

"I didn't touch her," he says.

"What?"

"I didn't touch her," he repeats. "Well, I did but that was way before the baby and way before the wedding even."

"So you said that you did to hurt me?" I say getting angry.

"Did you honestly think that I would ever even think about touching her or anyone else when I know there's even the last slightest chance for us," he replies.

Instead of feeling relieved I feel even more angry at him. He thinks this is a game.

"You can't just throw shit like that at me out of nowhere you bastard," I say giving him good slap on the left cheek.

It almost instantly turns red and he just kind of stares at me for a second. He doesn't looks surprised at all.

"Okay," he says rubbing his cheek a bit. "I guess I deserved that."

"You sure as hell did! What the hell is wrong with you?! Why would you say that to me?!"

"It was a spur of the moment. I just felt like I had to make you feel just as bad and that's the first thing that came to mind," he says.

"Really? That's the first thing that came to mind?" I repeat getting angrier with each word he says.

He reaches out to touch my arm but I smack it away. He gives me a look before leaning against the doorframe.

"Promise you'll just let me finish what I have to say. Then I'll leave if you want me to," he says and I nod just wanting this uncomfortable encounter to end. "Listen. These past few months I've realized that I can't live without you. That I can't breathe without you. That the man I am without you is nothing. I'm nothing. And you are everything and this baby is everything and I need you to give me another chance. I demand another chance. We're worth another chance. You might not believe it when I say it but you're everything to me and I know it's been rough lately but I still loved you this whole time. I was even prepared to spend my life with you at some point but we don't have to start there. We can start at square one if it means that you'll give me another chance. I'll do anything to have you back in my life if you just say 'yes'," he says and I feel something change.

"I need to think about it," I reply as my anger completely dissipates.

"I'm pouring my heart out," he says his face turning red as he tries not to breaks down in front of me. "I'm begging you just give me a second chance."

I'm so close to giving in.

"Harry," I sigh as he gently touches my face with his hand.

"Please baby," he whispers.

I feel all the walls I put up crumble in that moment. Every lie I've told myself about not needing Harry couldn't have prepared me for this. I find myself opening myself up again and letting him in--the thing I said I'd never do.

"Okay," I reply and he lets out a breath of relief.

"Thank you," he says kissing the top of my head while pulling me into a tight hug.

I let myself relax in his embrace and I wrap my arms around his neck.

"You hurt me," I whisper into his chest.

"I'm so sorry," he mumbles into my hair. He lets me go abruptly and looks straight ahead completely disorienting me. I turn around and Adam is leaning against the wall.

"I knew this was going to happen. You can't get over him can you?" he laughs sorrowfully shaking his head.

He smiles a bit but it's not genuine it's pained and more of a grimace.

"I'll go," he says.

"I'm sorry Adam," I say as he reaches the door.

"It's okay Bren. I knew what I was signing up for but it was nice while it lasted," he says before stepping out and leaving.

I feel awful.

I don't care what anybody says. Adam is a great guy and took care of me well when I needed him. Even if I didn't want him around he still stayed here and sacrificed for me. Seeing him walk out of my door so sad because of me breaks my heart because I know he'd never do that to me. Harry however has and no matter how much he'd hate to admit it; our relationship is forever changed.

~.~.~.~

"BREN! BREN! BRENDALYN! WAKE UPPPPP!"

What?

I feel myself floating back into consciousness as I realize I'm still in my bed. My grogginess is replaced by panic as I reconnect with reality.

What a crazy dream...

"WE'RE GOING TO BE LATE!" I yell springing up and rushing throughout my room tripping on clothes and furniture.

This is the first day of a new start. A new me. A new life. This is a whole new experience that surpasses the lessons learned in highschool. This is college.

(I'm totally joking but what if I actually did that? That would be hilarious. This was the last chapter but the epilogue is going to be amazing so wait for that too.)